To the nice people in this ng

Page 4 of 5

We used to have a cold house at night, we had "space blankets" under the Mattress pad. No doubt about it, it's so much better than having a cold mattress.

Space Blankets are incredible. They have gotten me through a few camping emergency situations.
Steve
Love to hear the details.
One friend of mine describes it like this:
Hey Chris it looks pretty good, your lesson. Out of everything you put out I have one suggestion. It's about your foil blanket. I like to backpack and one time I got stranded with one of my son's and my nephew on the side of a mountain all night. We didn't have our full backpacks with us just what we could carry in our day packs which means we didn't have our sleeping bags among other things. Anyways in my 10 essentials kit I had one of those little foil blankets. I had never used it but I figured now was a real necessary time to put it to use. When we tried to fold it out it fell all apart into ribbons along the fold lines. I talked with some people about it afterwards and was told "Oh yeah that's common knowledge" and they said besides replacing these little Mylar space blankets from time to time you should upon purchasing them unfold and refold them not on the same fold lines but into about a 4" square. Well that's a small thing I thought might help somebody.
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.

aluminized sun-tanning blankets (if you can still find them, now that tanning is a no-no), are almost as useful as the mylar blankets, and a lot more durable and reusable. I used to have one in my car kit, but now that I think about it, I haven't seen it in awhile- guess I better add it to my list of missing crap to track down or replace.
aem sends...

I have a spece heater on a stand next to the bed. I turn it on, and lift the covers so it blows under them. Hold that for a couple minutes and the bed is nice and warm, then turn the fan off.
Bob

Noooooooooooo..I wasn't using it like that for that prupose.

On Mon, 05 Feb 2007 21:15:48 GMT, Paul M. Eldridge

My favorite I heard on Leno.
It was a Superman costume, and the label said, "Warning, cape does not enable wearer to fly."
Some day they're going to find out that 6-year olds ignore words that give them trouble, or that they think "enable" means "prevent".

That has to be the best one I've heard so far. I only wish I could have been at the boardroom table when the company lawyers delivered their pitch.
I also enjoyed the reference to Gary Larson "not of step" warning. The man is a comic genuis. One of my favourite Far Side cartoons is of a really excited dog calling a 1-900 sex line and what he hears on the other end is "I'm just a poor helpless kitten with a broken leg trapped on the front veranda with no place to hide..."
Cheers, Paul

<snipped>

Just a thought, but did you try the unit on another outlet? You may have just tripped a breaker in your breaker box. -Felder

I am a happy camper now. I meant to keep this unit in the closet to warm up the closet for a few minutes so that in the morning after getting up and when going to bed, I won't have to put on cold clothes.
Good thing I posted here. I almost got rid of it. This prompt me to wonder whether my paper shredder can be salvaged. It's not a cheap kind. I did try different outlet on that one.

On really cold days, my mother would put my coat over the furnace hot air vent in the hall -- I think the vent was in the hall -- so it would be warm before I left for school.
She didn't warm my pajamas but I wasn't going out and the house was still warm. There were no setback thermostats in those days, but she set the thermostat down at night anyhow, of course. The problem was that it *was* cold getting up in the morning, but we tolerated it because we didnt' have much money. We were happy to have enough money for 68 degrees when we weren't sleeping. :)

If I leave the central heater on at night ( the lowest setting I could program is 45 degree) and it would get turned on. If so, it would get too hot for me and I get woken up in the middle of the night. I sleep well when cold. It doesn't snow where I live.

If the central heater was set for 45, it would get too hot for you?
I don't get that.
Are we talking about 45 degrees Fahrenheit? (I think 45 degrees centigrade, is 113 F. That would be too hot for most of us.)
BTW, when I say "warm the bed" I include "taking the chill out of the bed". I used to use my electric blanket to do that too, especially when I was afraid of getting cancer from my old-design electric blanket. (The older I get the less risk I have of getting cancer before I die anyhow, and the less I have to lose.

You need an electric blanket. Or to convert your bed to a canopy bed and bolt the heater to the headboard.
My suspicion is that there's a fusible ling somewhere in the thing, and it melted, but it's also possible that the heating element broke. No way to tell without opening it up and testing for continuity.

I thought about it but I don't have much problem with my bed setup. I don't like much heat when I sleep.

Good to know what can go wrong inside.

One would think that any electical engineer would know how to fix such things better than I do, or at least that all are interested in fixing electrical things, but I'm pretty that not all do or are. So don't give him a hard time if he begs off. I'm sure he knows electrical engineering better than I do/

OTOH, if he will be interested, you should either have a supply of tools available somewhere or warn him before he leaves home. I keep having to buy voltmeters when I visit my brother, because I don't normally keep one in my suitcase, and more than once I"ve needed one to fix something he has. At least I could get a different model each time, and I was saving him money. I really have enough voltmeters now, so I hope I remember to take one in my suitcase, but the TSA will probably think it is a bomb.

I have doubts about sleeping with the heater. Electric heating pads warn against sleeping with the pad because, they say, you may end up lying on the pad, and indeed my mother did once and got a burn that did not heal quickly.
Not the same thing as a heater of course, but I wonder how hot the air gets and if it could set fire to the sheets and blankets.
A heating blanket is the most efficient way to stay warm when in bed. Anything made in the last 20 or 25 years has been redesigned in case there was anything to the fears about low frequency radiation. WRT high-tension lines, they finally decided it was not a problem, but I think once they redesigned electric blankets, they stopped doing research on the old ones. ??

I didn't plan on insisting he fixed it. I was just going ask to take a look and see whether it's fixable easily.

Home Depot is 5 mins w/ no highway travel from me. Whetevr he needs, we could get it.

I am a very light sleeper. And I don't fall asleep when noisy and when it's hot. This heater is not quiet as advertised. If I dozed off for a reason and get burned, I would only blame myself, not my luck.

This heater has auto shut off feature when it gets too hot.

I don't want to stay warm.

I might buy an electric throw but I am trying not to watch *any* tv anymore. Lately, if I watched any, I dozed off anyway. That's how boring everything on TV is these days.

Heating pads have safety features to prevent burning now.

I would not use the heater. It sounds like the thermal protection was working properly. It sounds to me like there are problems other than the protection, and it is a good thing that the protection was working.
You can get a new one at Walmart for 20$ I just did, and it came with a 3 year warranty.
Why risk a fire? Toss it.

Good point. I plan to use for .. say 2 mins only, placing the clothes I would wear in front of it but not too close.