To the nice people in this ng

I lost it in another thread because I dislike Amart Alecs and those who thrives on attacking others.

Just want to let you know that I appreciate the help I got from nice people.

If anyone can gudie me to a group where I can post a question on Holmes 1 Touch portable heater, I'd appreciate it. I need to post a question on the item I have (see pic below).

Amanda

You can ask it here. Not a bad looking heater, the same power as most space heaters, but with a small fan and small size. If price is a concern, you can find heaters with the same output for half that price. They may or may not fit your needs.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Ask your question here. I don't believe you'll find a better forum for that heater than right here. I believe the below link is the manual for the unit.

tnom

I got it for $25 at Walmart 3 years ago. Until recently, I didn't use it much - I used to only to take the chill out of the bed sheet for like a VERY short period in winter. I just sleep w/o heater, using many layers of blankets with one being handquilted wool.

But recently, I got creative and got silly I migth add. I placed the unit under the sheet next to me under to give an enclosed environment cus my bedroom is really big, actully, because the room connects to the area where there are closets and basins, preventing em to use any heater ffectively.

(I have recently sealed that connection by putting a styrofaom at night so that I can use oil-filled radiant heater and have the room not cold when I get out of bed in the morning. Also, by keeping the bedroom to the hallway closed and using oil-filled radiant heater, I find that the central heater (via the thermostat from downstairs) can warm the hallway area of upstairs better. This hallway is open to downstairs since the upstairs of the house not for the whole house. I don't know the right words to explain. )

Anyway, I was abusive of this small heater, not waiting for 10 mins before trying to start again when it stops partly because I didn't remember about the tiny print on the back that says to wait for 10 mins when ti stops. (I just saw it when broguth next to my PC for no apparent reason.)

So it stopped working altogether and I wonder whether it's just the wire blowing up. I have a family friend, like a brother, an Electrical Engineer, who will be visiting me in a week or two. I am thinking to ask him to take a look if it is just the wire. This unit has some sort of sensor, right? Could that be that sensor?

I don't want to bother him if it is the sensor that got damaged instead.

Reply to
Amanda

Thanks.

Reply to
Amanda

You put an electric heater under a sheet. OK. You'd better read every word of the owner's manual that someone else pointed you to. It doesn't matter if it's for a slightly different model, or for yours specifically. Read every word.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

I always thought that little tag on the hair dryer cord warning you not to use the product while soaking in the tub was a bit over the top. Now I'm not so sure. =:-0

Cheers, Paul

Reply to
Paul M. Eldridge

Seen last week on a box of frozen chicken substance from Banquet:

- Bake 50 minutes at 350 degrees.

- Remove from oven carefully. Product will be hot.

No shit?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

The reset instructions say...

Unplug the unit for ten minutes. The unit should reset itself.

Press the mode/off switch until the unit starts

Make sure the thermostat is not set to low

Reply to
tnom

"> Holmes 1 Touch portable heater, I'd appreciate it. I need to post a

use a digital multimeter to test for continuity when heater is unplugged. put the meter probes to each other to check for beep in the ohms or continuity mode. holding the probe handles, touch each probe to a plug prong. you may have to stand the heater rightside up for it to test ok when the switch is on and the thermostat is set to cal;l for heat. some devices like new window fans have a permanent safety fuse built in to the plug. this fuse is not intended to be replaced. "If your heater fails to operate: =B7 Make sure the electrical outlet or circuit breaker is working. =B7 Check for obstructions. If you find an obstruction turn the heater OFF, and UNPLUG THE UNIT. Carefully remove the obstruction and follow the reset instructions. =B7 The thermostat might be set too low. Press the MODE/OFF button until the heater restarts. Please DO NOT attempt to open or repair the heater."

Reply to
buffalobill

Better.

A Far Side cartoon showing Vikings attacking a castle. There's arrows, axes, and boiling oil, and catapaults, and fire, and stones. Bodies flying through the air, corpses littering the ground, dead horses. Total mayhem.

On the top run of the foreground scaling ladders, in small type: "Not a Step."

Reply to
HeyBub

Just a thought, but did you try the unit on another outlet? You may have just tripped a breaker in your breaker box.

-Felder

Reply to
Felder

Hey, I was testing, okay? It's not liek I put it there and fall asleep. I tuned it off before I sleep. And I wasn't doing it except for a couple of nights when it was too cold. I didn't like to use central heating because I hate getting out of bed to turn it off. if I don't, it gets hot and wake me up in the middle of the night.

Reply to
Amanda

You need an electric blanket. Or to convert your bed to a canopy bed and bolt the heater to the headboard.

My suspicion is that there's a fusible ling somewhere in the thing, and it melted, but it's also possible that the heating element broke. No way to tell without opening it up and testing for continuity.

Reply to
Goedjn

I just did before resplying here and ....

You are a genius:)

I am a happy camper now. I meant to keep this unit in the closet to warm up the closet for a few minutes so that in the morning after getting up and when going to bed, I won't have to put on cold clothes.

Good thing I posted here. I almost got rid of it. This prompt me to wonder whether my paper shredder can be salvaged. It's not a cheap kind. I did try different outlet on that one.

Reply to
Amanda

Obviously, that must have what happened the first time around because after it stopped working the first time, it worked when I tested the next mornning. Then the after the second time, it didn't.

I never lived in a house before and it was easy to just call the management though things like that never happened before. I wasn't like this either though, doing things I wasn't supposed to do.

One thing about this house is that I don't think quality products are used for breakers. A freind of mine - he's an Electrical Engineer qand lives in another city as well - made that comment when the some of the outlets in the kitchen stopped working - I checked the box outside the house and reset things there to no avail. So I got someone my boss referred me to looked at it but he couldn't fix it . He gave me anme to call but the guy never calleed me back. Later, the ceiling light and the rest of outlet in the kitchen went out too. I reset the switch in the box outside the hosue but no diferrence. I was about to get an electrician from Yellow Pages when that friend visited me. When he reset the switch in the mainswitch box, everything worked including one outlet that was not working before all this.

Why does that matter to test whether the unit works or not?

Now that it works, this little thing might be another best investment I have ever made, like my HP laser printer bought in 1995. I was told that they don't make printer like that anymore.

Reply to
Amanda

I thought about it but I don't have much problem with my bed setup. I don't like much heat when I sleep.

Good to know what can go wrong inside.

That's what I thought if the issue was was indeed the heater.

Reply to
Amanda

another thread because I dislike Amart Alecs and those

Yes, I did fail to check the electrical outlet or circuit breaker.

Not even by an electrician?

Reply to
Amanda

I haven't got the energy to look for other prices, but might the price be higher because it is sold at officeworld. This is not their area of concentration, so people buying it here are buying sort of on impulse, and for that people usually have to pay more. I'm not saying it is not for their office, but if heaters were the first thing on a buyer's mind, he would not go to an office site.

Reply to
mm

You can eliminate that problem with a setback thermostat, for twenty bucks or so at Lowe's or Home Depot. Pays for itself within a month or so, too.

Reply to
Doug Miller