To Programmable Thermostat users/owners: Need your help to fill out a questionnaire! =)

Page 2 of 2
Okay, I am glad and thankful to say that I just collected "enough" (the minimum number required by instructor) responses from all of you. So I will move on from here, and start doing some primarily analyzes for the next step of my assignment.
If you just read the first post, please do not fill out the questionnaire.
Thank you for those who responded my post. I appreciate all the data, comments, and advice from you all.
Estella

I think most or all newsreaders work the way Agent does. So if you really want people not to fill out the questionaire at this point, the best choice would have been to reply to the first person to reply to you, in this case Trader4. Many or all people read a few of the responses before they respond, but this one is so far down that almost no one will bother to read it, and they will not be discouraged from completing the survey.
But a response to trader4 will appear 4th in the list of posts.

I see what you meant. That's a good idea! Thanks.
Okay, I am glad and thankful to say that I just collected "enough" (the minimum number required by instructor) responses from all of you. So I will move on from here, and start doing some primarily analysis for the
next step of my assignment.
If you just read the first post, please do not fill out the questionnaire.
Thank you for those who responded my post. I appreciate all the data, comments, and advice from you all.
Estella

Johnson (Controls, I assume) Commodore

22 years

I"m afraid I can only tell you what feature is MISSING from EVERY programmable thermostat I have looked at.
That is, a NEXT button. The thermostats I have seen allow one to raise the temperature by pushing some button the right number of times to raise the temperature, or a different button to lower the temperature. What a pain in the neck. This is not good enough to warrant my changing thermostats.
Say I have the temperature set for 68 when I'm gettting dressed in the morning, 60 when I'm gone from 8 to 6, 68 or some other temp when I come home for the evening, and 60 or some other temperature from 11 to 7, when I am sleeping.
So what if I come home two hours early? And the house is 60. I would like to be able to press NEXT and see the temperature rise to 68, the temperature of the next time period. And I want it to stay at 68 until my regular bedtime. If I go to bed early, I want to be able to press NEXT and see the temp drop to 60 when I go to bed, and stay at 60 until the time I would normally wake up. . If on some other day I awake early, I want the temp to go up early, and if I leave for work early, the opposite, just by pressing the NEXT button.
That should move forward the START of the next period, but should leave unchanged the END of the next period. Most of the time, when I get home early, it has no effect on when I go to bed, and when I go to bed early, it has no effect on when I wake up, and when I wake up early, I still leave for work at the same time** If I do leave early for work, it has no effect on when I get home.
**I may leave early some days, and then I have to get up earlier, but there is no decent way for anyone to correlate these things but me.
I am not concerned about getting home late, going to bed late, etc. Even if you had an EXTEND button, it would only work if I were home and awake to push the button. So that excludes two of the four time zones. And even then the stat wouldn't know how long to extend it. Well, maybe 15 minutes for every time I push the button, up to 10 times (2 1/2 hours) I don't think I would ever use this, but maybe someone else would like it.
I absolutely don't want these fancy things where you call from outside and arrange for the heat to reach the higher setting early. I'd rather be cold than go to that kind of trouble.
All I want is a NEXT button.

You need 4 periods a day. The Honeywell has 7 switches***, one for each day of the week, to choose either 4 periods a day, or two periods a day for each of 7 days. Not everyone works M-F and stays home Sat and Sun. This weekend stuff is stupid, and Honeywell had better 22 years ago. (although if there are only weekday and weekend settings, a NEXT key makes it easy to keep the temperature high if one stays home on a weekday, or leaves on a weekend.)
***If you really plan to identify the model, they are 7 tiny rocker switches, one above the other, on the right side of the face. The day temperature swtich is almost the width of the thermostat, the night temp swtich is the same and beneath it. And the timing swtich is the same width and beneath that.

Not to change the temperature. Just to go to NEXT. If you have both NEXT and manual override one degree at a time, you'll probably charge too much for the unit.

Most furnaces don't work when there is a power outage. If there is back up power, it powers the thermostat too. However the Honeywell has a battery so it doesn't forget what time it is. The one large watch battery lasted 10 or 15 years. If it's less than 2 years, it's going to be annoying.

I don't know what this means.

I don't care. The Honeywell uses a mechanical switch for the two temperatures. It has notches from 48 to 96. (I don't know why it goes that high, but there might be good reason. I wish it went lower, to 45.) And another mechanical switch with 4 sliders to determine when the temperature changes. This is fine. The digital dispaly only gives the time and whether the furnace is in night mode or day mode (off-to-work mode is the same as night mode.) and the temperature.

No. Only the communists care about Centigrade. (grin)

No.
No.
No.
No.
The Honeywell is pretty enough it doesn't need a cover. The NEXT button should be available without opening any cover.

7 It's perfect except it has no NEXT buttton. I'm not kidding.

It adjust the temperature. It has either 4 or 2 time periods a day, depending on the swtich settings. It has 7 day swtiches, one for each day of the week. It is simple. It is mechanical and takes only a few seconds (less than 10) to set. It requires no maintenance. (If the swtiches ever did get dirty, a squirt of contact cleaner and moving the slider back and forth would take care fo things. But it's fine aftter 22 years.)
It has DAY and NIGHT temp settings and the design could easily accept a NEXT button if a designer tried to put one in, without changing any of the good points of the thermostat.

No NEXT button. See the leading paragraphs to the answer to Q3 for details.

A NEXT button. See above for explanation.

Or 1 and 8?

???
What kind of errors do you plan to make?

1
8 or 10, whichever you want for the highest. Are you saying someone makes an unsafe thermostat? I find that hard to believe.

The less software the better. That software exists doesn't mean you have to use it.
Because mine uses mechanical switches, it is very simple and very quick to use. And even if there is no battery, mechanical switch settings don't change in a power failure.

If I don't give this a high rating, you plan to make shlock?? What company are you doing this questionairre for?

Maintenance!! The only maintenance I've done to the one I have now is change the battery once in 22 years. It should not require any more maintenance than changing the battery every 5 or 10 years.

I spent about 5 minutes 22 years ago. If I change things since then, it takes about 5 seconds. That's because it doesn't use menus and choices and up and down keys. Evertthing is perfectly obvious and quick.. The switches are right there in front of me. I can see them when I am in the middle of the room, and my hand is on the switch I want to change by the time I'm standing there. Three seconds and it's done. The temperature and time numbers are clearly printed, with paint on metal.

5 minutes to read the manual and make all settings.

8
10 minutes.

100%
X Home.

Computer programmer. That I write complicated programs doesn't mean everything should be complicated. Everything should be as simple and reliable as possible.