to paint or to put a new siding

And then we complain about the gas prices !!!!!
That Hardy board cement siding looks really good.

On 6 Dec 2005 12:21:24 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

Its funny this came up in this thread, because I was thinking about a friends house. He had cedar shakes over redwood horiz boards, and I always loved the look of that house. It was very decorative and reminded me of a summer cottage where someone would go to fish and get away from the world. Except it was in a small city. However, his family outgrew that small house and because of building codes, he could not add on as he wanted. He sold the place. The next owner covered it with plastic siding. Both of us about vomited ! It went from being a cute house to a boring plastic box with no eye appeal, and now looked like every other house. Worse yet, the guy tore off the front porch, which was all glass windows, and made the house even smaller. We both agreed it looked like shit when he finished. Whats funny, my friend sold the place in a couple weeks. This new guy apparenlly bought it to sell at a profit, and over a year later it's still for sale and empty.

At the end of the day, it all comes down to the condition of the existing siding, cost to repaint, cost to side, and your view of the look of siding versus paint. That being said, I paint and hang wallcovering for a living. I also prefer the look of wood siding over aluminum or vinyl. That may well be a subjective judgment. The cost to do an exterior job can be a bear if the exterior needs a lot of prep. But, to do the job right means to do the prep work as the job will only be as good as the prep. I've told many customers over the years to go with siding rather than paint if I believed that there were issues with the siding that would be cost prohibitive or impossible to remediate with paint. I'd rather lose one exterior job than my reputation because a paint job failed prematurely. FWIW YMMV