To en30...hotmail: Re Previous Post on Latex Over Oil Paint, or Vice Versa ?

: Hello:

Thanks for help. Regarding your answer to my previous post.

"For top coats, oil can go over latex but latex cannot go over"

Are you sure this is correct ? Just want to be sure that I don't screw things up when I paint.

I always thought that Latex can go over Oil, but not vice versa ?

Might you re-confirm, please.

Thanks, Bob

----------------------

Will be repainting over an upper part of a shower stall. > Not sure if latex or oil on it now. > Is the Kilz product the "best" to use as an intermediary between what's > on there now, and my new paint job ? > Not sure yet what type of paint I'll be using. > Or, is there a better "primer" type of product available ? > Thanks, > B.

For top coats, oil can go over latex but latex cannot go over oil. So use a primer if you want, but an oil based paint will go over what is there without a primer. And being in a shower area, I'd use oil based anyway.

Reply to
Robert11

Not true, latex can go on oil if its prepped right, cleaned well and no gloss. Cleaning well is not understood by many, oils from hands imbed over the years in specific areas on doors, frames and windows which are constantly touched, you realy need alcohol and care to clean these areas well. Places that can`t realy ever be cleaned right are kitchens. I don`t like latex on trim anyway, but failures are from poor prep. The cost of proper prep for latex can make it more expensive then just using oil primer from the start. Jobs ive seen fail were not prepped, the prep can cost the same as the paint job, its an area often cheated on.

Reply to
m Ransley

That's true - well "latex *cannot* go over oil" should probably be amended to "should not go over oil". You can do it but it'll peel off in a year or two. Check with your local paint store to verify this information. Enuf

Reply to
en30303