To Drain or Not to Drain

Do you drain the old gas out of your lawnmower every fall, or do you add stabliizer to it, and leave it in the unit over the winter months?
What about snowblowers? I always add stablizer to the gas/oil mix in the spring, and leave it in the unit all summer long.
Of course, I always run the equipment for about five minutes after adding stablizer.
Thanks.
Kate
Kate wrote:

I drain, and run them completely dry.
Kate wrote:

Drain is always best. One year I drained my snowblower and it ran OK the next but I left stabilized gas in it and it would not start and I needed the carburetor cleaned. Might have been alcohol in gas that caused problem as manual says not to use gas with alcohol or depending on the carburetor there could be evaporation which leaves a clogging residue. I keep stabilized gas in my generator but start it every few months. If you leave gas in anything it is a good idea to start occasionally.

I leave mine in, but then empty it out at first use, and add fresh gas. Don't know how good this is, but I figure it is better to have something in there than completely empty. Smell like varnish when I dump it, so I usually use it on gopher holes that appear in spring.
Steve
Kate wrote:

I don't do anything special to the mover, tiller, nor any other fair weather gas powered tools and have never had a problem. My gawd, here in SE Iowa they only set unused from mid November to early April (four to five months). Actually, I have let some set for as long as three years and they still started and ran fine. Of course if you want to spend the time and money put some stabilizer in the gas and let it run for a couple of minutes before putting it to bed.
ymmv
IGot2P wrote:

My experience as well. The only item I run dry is the backup generator. First use of lawn mower in the spring might take 2 or 3 pulls instead of the usual 1, but otherwise I've never seen an issue with it.
IGot2P wrote:

Hi, Me neither. But I use winter gas in winter. Summer gas iin summer. Same with Propane gas.

Ditto...None of my stuff sits more than a 6 months....Some talk like winter lasts for years....LOL...
IGot2P wrote:

I do nothing as well on a mower, tractor and small garden tools. BYW had a great Honda mower for 25 years ... never did anything for the winter ... and it started everytime on a single pull. Finally junked it due to the al deck rotting out.
Kate wrote:

if it's for less than a year, just fill the tank and forget it.
steve

I have a 1986 Lawnboy, never had a carb issue and I just put it away recently, I run it dry, I have a few pieces I run dry and all are fine, once I left gas in a sthil trimmer and it needed a carb clean 6 moths later. I guess stabil works but im scared to test it, Stabil costs money, running it dry is free, a carb rebuild is alot of money and driving around.

I add stabilizer most of the time, but I've also forgotten and had no problems leaving gas for the opposing season, both summer and winter.
Here comes a lengthy conversation, with all kinds of proofs. I'm waiting for someone to quote Aristotle and that will be the clincher.
I usually run equipment dry, but havn't done a double blind study or anything.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

I just got back online after a busy weekend.
Thanks everyone for all of your replies.
My mower sits in my shed from November - April every year. Like I said, I do put stabilizer in it. It gets very cold in there this time of the year.
My snowblower sits in the shed from April - November where it gets very hot during the summer months.
On Sat, 12 Dec 2009 16:00:22 -0800, Kate wrote:

I try to run tanks pretty empty, just in case* (so I don't waste a full tank), but I never add anything, run the thing completely dry etc. and I haven't ever had a problem.
* more worried about things like lines splitting etc.
cheers
Jules

I do absolutely nothing to the fuel system and have never had any problems. My owner's manual is silent on the matter, so I doubt it's of great importance.