To cold to paint?

I am having a shed built this week with T1-11 siding. The company that is building it told me today that I have to paint it with in 30 days or the warranty (5 years against materials and workmanship) will be voided. I live in Indiana and the temps are getting cold around here. High today was around

55 degrees fairenheit. The paint can says I should wait until the temp stays above that to ensure proper drying. Does anyone know of a paint that will work in the 30-50 degree range? ANy other suggestions for getting this done? I don't have any way to heat and keep a 12 X 20 shed warm until the paint dries.
Reply to
Gordon Parks

Not many options this time of year. A paint store will have special cold-weather paints (apply down to 36F), but they aren't cheap.

Reply to
Tim Killian

there site doesn't give the temp on this but it sure dries fast!

KILZ=AE Exterior

KILZ Exterior is a fast drying sealer-primer-stainblocker that was developed to block stains on exterior surfaces including brick, painted metal, wood, aged masonry and stucco. Its effective oil-base stainblocking formula also makes it an excellent choice for tough restoration work.

KILZ Exterior primer/sealer will dry to the touch in 30 minutes and can be recoated or topcoated in one hour with oil or latex paint. Allow two hours drying time if sanding is required.

KILZ Exterior Features:

Blocks tannin stains on redwood and cedar Provides a mildew-resistant coating Great for cooler temperature applications Resists cracking and peeling Available In:

1 gallon=20 5 gallon=20
buffalobill

a painter from Alaska told me that

Reply to
Sacramento Dave

buy a giant tarp to keep it dry until a primer temperature day arrives. once the kilz primer is on it will help to keep the wood dry while you plan for a low humidity day, a dozen helpers with a dozen rollers and brushes and quick drying paint to roll while the sun shines. see also accuweather for your hourly forcasts

Reply to
buffalobill

You could get some bisqueen and a cheapie ceramic heater to get the temperature up. Prime with Kilz and finish coat in the Spring.

Reply to
PolyMorf

I would be OK using most oil based paints in temperatures below 50 degrees. Not sure if I would even use that if it's going to get below

  1. I would not use any latex paint outside in these temperatures. This is based upon personal experiences.
Reply to
scott21230

Borrow a garage, and pre-paint the panels before they go up. Stand there with a warm can of paint and a sponge to smear the fresh-cut edges before they go up. Only exposed bottom edges are critical- all the other edges should be under trim or Z-flashing anyway.

aem sends...

Reply to
ameijers

or equal

RicodJour

Where in Ind , now its 20f up in N ind and all week, all year, till next spring its to cold, too late. Sherwin williams Latex goes on at 35 but near term freezeing hard is pushing it to ruin it, I mean Geeze its DEC man, the seasons finished. What co is building it, Get a different shed, who will know if its 30 days or 6 months, No "shed inspector" comes around.

Reply to
m Ransley

I really do think most oil based paints should be OK in 30-50 degrees, espically on a sunny day.

Reply to
scott21230