tires in storage

Given modern tax laws that penalize holding on to warehouse queen inventory, at maufacturer/wholesale/retail levels, I wouldn't lose sleep over it. Even for somewhat common sizes, in recent years I have been told a couple of times that I will have to come back Thursday, when the truck comes in. Like any other retail chain for consumers, they only stock what history shows they can sell quickly.

Of course, if you are talking real oddball stuff, like licensed 3rd-party repro Polyglas GT redline Bias Plies for your '69 'cuda show car, where they only dig out the molds and run a batch every five years, yeah, there might be cause for concern. 'NOS' is not a good thing for shelf-life parts.

aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

A friend of mine bought an old Studebaker with some new-looking but obviously at least 10 year old cheap radial tires on it. After a couple days in the sun, the carcasses all expanded and the tires all threw off their tread - without the car moving at all!

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

the DOT number on the tire shows the production date. In pennsylvania state vehicle inspection mechanics are supposed to check all tirees nymbers and reject any that are too old. I will ask a inspection buddy but I beeve it 6 to 8 years. these rules started after some accidents caused by aged tires shredding and deaths.

by 10 years outdoors tires are junk, I replaced some trailer tires and a buddy has cars that get little use, like a few thousand miles a year.

He was forced to replace the tires at 10 years, and remarked the tires sun shined on were much worse.

Reply to
hallerb

On Jun 3, 1:16 am, "SJF" wrote: ...

"Longer", maybe, yes. I can attest that tractor tires won't live "forever", however, from UV. They are very prone to developing deep cracks at the base of the tread bar and will fail under use. Takes a while, but more rubber and plies alone don't eliminate the problem, just extend it...

Reply to
dpb

The best tire is a newly-made one, best safety factor too. Tires laying around attract varmints.

Reply to
Phisherman

I use UV protectant on my tractor tires, and park the tractor under cover whenever possible. At $600 apiece, I want them to last as long as possible.

Reply to
Larry Caldwell

Depends on the tire. I had a set of 6-ply Goodrich All Terrain that ran for a decade, and were still on the pickup and looking good when I sold it. It's best to protect them from the sun.

Reply to
Larry Caldwell

Amen...although don't know how you can keep a spray-on protectant on the tire anyway unless the tractor isn't used...

Depending on where you are and what you use,

dpb

And as much or more than even the tire, all the other peripheral conditions that are too numerous and variable to control to be able to generalize.

My general feeling is that for local, low- to mid-speed driving, as long as the tire has been maintained at proper inflation, etc., and shows no visible signs of _extreme_ UV damage, etc., they're "safe enough". I would be somewhat nervous about taking that same tire and start cross-country on an interstate trip, especially in hot weather. Might be fine, but I'd far prefer to be safe than sorry. Before I started in a case like that, I'd put a new set on. Otherwise, I'd run them until something happened...

Obviously, ymmv... :)

Reply to
dpb

On Jun 3, 2:45 pm, Larry Caldwell wrote: ...

Actually, it's not the tire cost as much as the $200+ per refueling that's the _real_ killer... :(

Reply to
dpb