tires in storage

Page 1 of 2
How long would you expect a set of car tires to last when stored in the garage?
By stored I mean dismounted, no rims, no wheels, kept out of sunlight as best you could.
Eigenvector wrote:

I've heard of guys racing at Bonneville using tires from the 50's and 60's that were dusted with talc, bagged, and kept in cool dry storage.
I don't know if I'd have the balls to do that, but apparently no tire mfgr. is willing to make new tires for certain types of land speed race cars due to liability reasons.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Eigenvector wrote:

I would worry after about 4 years. Note: That means that after any time, you will have shorter remaining life once placed in service.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia \'s Muire duit
Eigenvector wrote:

Just wanted to add, once you start seeing cracks in the sidewall, you know it is too long.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia \'s Muire duit

So far as I can tell the rubber looks to be just fine. I guess I'm a little worried seeing how they've been in the garage for about 6 years. Only way to tell is to mount them and see what happens I guess - no sense tossing a set of 4 completely good tires without attempting to see how they'll do??
Eigenvector wrote:

FWIW, I had a set of Pirelli's on my special edition Fiat that showed signs of deterioration (i.e., tread separated and they went flat) after about 15 years in the garage. YMMV.

What is a special edition Fiat? Was that one that runs :)
CJT wrote:

A friend of mine bought an old Studebaker with some new-looking but obviously at least 10 year old cheap radial tires on it. After a couple days in the sun, the carcasses all expanded and the tires all threw off their tread - without the car moving at all!
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
the DOT number on the tire shows the production date. In pennsylvania state vehicle inspection mechanics are supposed to check all tirees nymbers and reject any that are too old. I will ask a inspection buddy but I beeve it 6 to 8 years. these rules started after some accidents caused by aged tires shredding and deaths.
by 10 years outdoors tires are junk, I replaced some trailer tires and a buddy has cars that get little use, like a few thousand miles a year.
He was forced to replace the tires at 10 years, and remarked the tires sun shined on were much worse.
on 6/2/2007 9:19 PM Eigenvector said the following:

They will have lasted a longer time than if they had been driven on for 6 years. No tread wear, no flexing of the sidewalls, no sunlight, less rapid temperature changes, no scuffing, etc. Inspect them for dryness and cracking. If you are not going to try them in the near future, throw some tire shine product on them, inside and out. While I am on that subject, I bought a 4 pack of Permatex's 'No Touch' tire spray at Sam's. No wiping, just spray and forget. It worked so well on the tires that I power washed and sprayed my entire engine compartment with it, including air ducts, hoses, wires, distributer, anything that was plastic, and even the painted firewall and fender wells. That was last year and it still looks good. I also did the engine compartment of my wife's car, and my friends car.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

My '69 Toyota Corona, long gone, came with single ply tires as I recall -- thin sidewalls. I didn't see any cracks but two tires suddenly went flat with no sign of a puncture and low mileage. Weathered sidewalls finally let the air out when the tires were five years old.
For what it's worth, most of the rubber trim on that car also suffered sun damage. I imagine sturdier tires with two or more ply in the sidewalls would be less prone to such failure, tractor tires that live forever being an example.
SJF

"Longer", maybe, yes. I can attest that tractor tires won't live "forever", however, from UV. They are very prone to developing deep cracks at the base of the tread bar and will fail under use. Takes a while, but more rubber and plies alone don't eliminate the problem, just extend it...

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com (dpb) says...

I use UV protectant on my tractor tires, and park the tractor under cover whenever possible. At $600 apiece, I want them to last as long as possible.
--
For email, replace firstnamelastinitial
with my first name and last initial.

Amen...although don't know how you can keep a spray-on protectant on the tire anyway unless the tractor isn't used...
Depending on where you are and what you use,
http://www.nebraskatire.com/ag_tires/tractor_rear_overstocks.htm
wrote: ...

Actually, it's not the tire cost as much as the $200+ per refueling that's the _real_ killer... :(

Brings up the question: How long will tires last when they are in use? I drive 3000 miles a year. My tires are 8 years old. They have a lot of tread left but, are they still save? Do tires last longer when they are mounted and in use?
--
Walter
www.rationality.net
Walter R. wrote:

Sunlight is the primary culprit, so probably not. If you start to see sidewall cracks, it's probably time to consider new tires.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

There is no universal answer- depends way too much on local environmental conditions like heat and sunlight exposure, how well they were kept inflated, ad infinitum. I don't remember the figure, but several tire companies and car companies now recommend changing at X years or Y miles, whichever comes first.
Best answer is to inspect and check pressure regularly. If you see sidewalls starting to crack, probably time to start looking at ads. I have one car I barely use, and the tires still look new after 4 years. The daily driver, I think the oldest tire left is maybe 7 years old, moved from the car it replaced, along with the rims. (That car is a ligtning rod- I keep getting damaged tires from road crap, so far replaced at pro-rated discount under warranty.) When you take it in for an oil change, have the pit guy use his flashlight and inspect the inner sidewalls of the tires, too.
Having said all that, if the tires were five or six years old, and I was planning a cross-country trip, I'd be inclined to throw a fresh set on there just for the hell of it. Murphy being Murphy, the tire that fails will be in the middle of freaking nowhere, 51 miles to nearest town, at 2 am. (Can you tell I'm not a fan of those tiny skinny spare tires they provide these days?)
aem sends...
You're three years over. Five years from date of mfg. Then they should be 86'd.
--
Steve Barker

"Walter R." < snipped-for-privacy@example.com> wrote in message
@example.com (Walter R.) says...

Depends on the tire. I had a set of 6-ply Goodrich All Terrain that ran for a decade, and were still on the pickup and looking good when I sold it. It's best to protect them from the sun.