Tire pressure

Page 5 of 5
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

What happened to the 0.10 psi claim?
On 12/12/2014 9:40 AM, KenK wrote:

would also have to contend with 'where' the deflection was measured and what the material's temperature was and, just guessing, that the sidewall stiffness probably changes with age and mileage. Better to wait until all TPMS systems catch up with the most advanced types which give a direct readout of each tire's pressure rather than the present 'too low' indication.
On Friday, December 12, 2014 10:57:30 AM UTC-5, BenignBodger wrote:

+1
I doubt you could come up with anything that works well because of all the variables.
On Friday, December 12, 2014 9:57:30 AM UTC-6, BenignBodger wrote:

How about on the fly pressure adjustment ? Drop a few pounds in rain or snow, add a few pounds for highway gas mileage. Baby whales need to breathe too.

Also temperature. Higher speed rating tires have heavier sidewalls. That's why you should never mix speed ratings.
Greg
On 12/12/2014 9:40 AM, KenK wrote:

doubt they have the mentality to properly use a tire pushed gauge as you suggested.

I gave up on tire gauges years ago. I can thump a tire, which is hit it with my fist, and tell by the sound when it's at the proper level. When checked with a gauge, I'm always nearly exact to the proper inflation. Of course this is something that you cant just learn. But in my older age, I just know the right sound. Tire gauges are cheap, but no matter where you put them, they are never found when needed it seems.
On 12/12/2014 12:07 PM, snipped-for-privacy@spamblocked.com wrote: ...

I'd be willing to put that to a controlled test/demonstration... :)

In response to a question about how the tire low inflation works, there are two types. THe newest one uses actual pressure monitor in thevalve stem. The older version, compared the number of revolutions of tires compared to the revolutions of the other tires. If one tire, over a period of maybe a mile or two, showed a highernumber of revolutions, that tire would be like ly to be low on pressure unles the vehicle was driven in circles for a long time.

KenK posted for all of us...

Deflection is not the way to measure. Is the fuel tank empty or full? Driver inside or out? On a stone or flat surface? Buy a dial type with hose and don't drop it. Or digital.
--
Tekkie

Tekkie® wrote:

Our cars came with TPMS. When replacing tire, they can be reused with a kit which basically new valve seal, nut, washer.
On Thursday, January 8, 2015 at 5:41:31 PM UTC-5, Tony Hwang wrote:

They only last about 5-7 years though :/ Already replaced two on my 2009 M Y car.
On Friday, December 12, 2014 at 9:40:22 AM UTC-5, KenK wrote:

Buying a *good* tire pressure gauge with a good chuck on it makes checking pressure less frustrating. Good chuck especially, I want one that will go on and off with minimal pressure loss. My local speed shop just had a sale on "last year's model" Longacre dial/hose type gauges for $20 so I bought a new one and gave my old one to a kid who didn't have one at all.
Which reminds me, I better actually check that the new one works before the returns window runs out :)
Better yet, I used a Cornwell digital inflator last time I was at my friend 's shop with a locking chuck, damn that is a sweet tool. Apparently there' s a new Cornwell rep in the area who's aggressively trying to catch all the shops his predecessor missed... sure that one isn't $20 though.
nate