Tire pressure

Page 1 of 5
From time to time this subject has come up.
I had an interesting<?> thought. Why doesn't someone come out with a gauge that you push against the side of the tire that measures the deflection? Beats removing a cap and fooling with a fussy tire air pressure gauge. It might need to be calibrated by the user with a regular gauge depending on type of tire. I'd buy one (if it didn't cost an arm and a leg).
What do you think?
KenK wrote:

I think it would be difficult to calibrate and have a cost considerably higher than a $2.95 Slime pencil type tire gauge. I picked the Slime brand because a review in a motorcycle magazine, where people tend to be less casual about tire pressures, found it as good as any and better than most, including the upscale digital models.
On 12/12/2014 09:09 AM, rbowman wrote:

The industry is one step ahead of that.
A friend of mine bought a /used/ car and it has built-in tire pressure sensors. She got a warning when one of the tires was low.
Since the car was used, that means the technology must have been around for a while now.
On 12/12/2014 10:16 AM, philo wrote:

Wife's car has these sensors. One went bad and showed tire to be under inflated when it was inflated to the proper pressure. Dealer charged $100 for a new sensor and $100 to put it in. I would have been tempted to put a piece of masking tape over the red warning light. I have the same model car but older without the sensors and I've never been worried about it.
I rented a Toyota that had a screen that showed the pressure of each tire. Warning light came on but did not say which tire and I had to check them all with my gauge. Being a rental car, they varied by about 10 psi.
Our masters in DC have mandated this. Can't wait for the mandated backup camera - more expensive shit to go bad.
On 12/12/2014 11:39 AM, Frank wrote:

Avoid the dealer. A local tire shop charges $10 for them installed if replaced with new tires. Probably would have charged you $20 or so.
On 12/12/2014 11:59 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I would, but she won't. Dealers won't do low cost repairs. Shops are tough too unless you're spending big bucks.
On 12/12/2014 10:16 AM, philo wrote:

Huh? You can buy cars less than a year old as "used". The technology has been around over five years though.
On 12/12/2014 10:56 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

My friends cannot afford "late model" used cars.
Half my friends don't even own a car.
On 12/12/2014 9:16 AM, philo wrote: ...

Probably close to 10 yr if not longer; not sure whether it's yet in the "mandatory" column for new or not but haven't had a vehicle without it since an '06 model LeSabre that had them.
The '06 was the "one is bad, not indication of which" variety of indicator but all since all have at least an indication of which but since '10 all have digital readout on each tire.
I've yet to have one go bad with four vehicles and a combined mileage of probably >500k as a group, so in my mind they're _a_good_thing_ (tm) and well worth the relatively small initial cost.
Somebody brought up the rear camera -- it's in the '10 Enclave and I find it of little real value. I suppose if one had small kids it would have a chance of saving a backup incident but I've had the vehicle for five+ years now and I rarely, if ever, actually look at it. The backup IR sensors are excessively sensitive and somewhat annoying; if I had only a little more ambition I'd find the location of the beeper and put something over it to mute them significantly. I suspect in an instance or two over the life of a vehicle they'd have the possibility to prevent a fender crunch but are exceedingly irritating trying to parallel park in a tight spot as they start alarming far too far away from actual impact. That _could_ be tuned; others may be better...
On Friday, December 12, 2014 9:00:40 AM UTC-8, dpb wrote:

Yes, it is mandatory and has been for several years. The other "nice" part is if you run two sets of mounted tires (winter/summer), the second set also has to have them and that runs big bucks.
Harry K
On 12/12/2014 12:05 PM, Harry K wrote:

Don't see why that is a "must", necessarily. Of course, the system won't function correctly without them, but don't see anything that would make it mandatory.
I've not run a second set of rims on a passenger vehicle in at least 40 years; doubt if there's one in ten-thousand that do...
On 12/12/2014 11:00 AM, dpb wrote:
[snip]

I was visiting a friend who had bought a new pickup at about that time, and it had one like that. The light came on and he checked all 4 tires on the ground. None of them were low. It was the spare tire.
On this pickup, the spare tire is mounted under the bed, with the valve up (and so inaccessible), making it hard to check. He put it back on with the valve down.
BTW, is these some benefit to having the valve up (and hidden)?
--
12 days until the winter celebration (Thursday December 25, 2014
12:00:00 AM for 1 day).
On 12/13/2014 11:50 AM, Mark Lloyd wrote:

Now, w/o a full-size spare, not sure any have the sensor in the spare...and don't think have ever had one even with the full-size rim that had it in the spare. Certainly never had any indication of such on any vehicle I've had (bunch of GM and one Chrysler in the lot).
Other than possibly minimizing vandalism and the very rare chance of a thrown rock or the like damaging the stem can't think of any. Altho I've had some that the hanger would only allow the rim to sit that way as the centering portion was too high for the recess otherwise. OTOMH can't think of which way any of the current three are...haven't had to use the spare in years (which is actually quite an unusual occurrence come to think of it with the number of flats get from stuff in the dirt road that gets turned over almost every time they grade them. Of course, the car tires aren't as rugged so small stuff that gets them doesn't always actually cause a puncture in the trucks...
On Friday, December 12, 2014 at 10:16:43 AM UTC-5, philo  wrote:

It has but I would not rely on it unless you have an actual pressure readou t in real PSI. a "Low Tire" warning just means that the tire has 75% of th e door sticker pressure, I'd prefer to know before that point.
nate
N8N wrote: "It has but I would not rely on it unless you have an actual pressure readout in real PSI. a "Low Tire" warning just means that the tire has 75% of the door sticker pressure, I'd prefer to know before that point. "
Lucky you! The TPMS on my car were calibrated to -5psi below the maximum pressure on my TIRES(41psi).
My door sticker says 30psi all four, so even if I keep them at 32psi, my tires are still 'underinflated' according to some guv'mint gadget installed in them! So I just drive around and ignore the light.
N8N wrote:

It gives actual pressure reading(mine in KPa) 2008 Acura MDX. I have 2 sets of them for summer and winter tires. So far so good.
N8N wrote:

It does my car displays in KPa unit.
On 12/12/2014 10:09 AM, rbowman wrote:

tire pressure gauges, and for a dollar more, Radial tire pressure gauges.
On Friday, December 12, 2014 10:17:55 AM UTC-5, Stormin Mormon wrote:

For two dollars more, you could probably get a left-handed tire pressure gauge.
Paul
KenK:
The deflection of the tire sidewall is not the most accurate indicator of proper/over/underinflation.
Semi-OT: Has anyone seen that TV commercial where viewers are given 3 choices as to how much oil could be saved if everyone in America kept their tires properly inflated? I believe the correct answer was in the billions of gallons. Sobering!