Tire Air Rotation for Spring

Page 1 of 2
Just a Reminder
Spring is here. That means it's time to rotate the air in your tires. You need to pump the air out of your front tires and put that same air back in your rear tires. However if your air is more than three years old, it's recommended to replace it with new air. However, if you live in a northern climate, your car probably has Winter Air in the tires. This must be completely removed, and replaced with Summer Air, before the hot weather arrives.
This is not something you can do at home, without specialized equipment. Get it done professionally, so it's done right, which insures that you're tires are safe. After all, your life depends on those tires.
Prices vary according to where you live, but I've seen Air Rotation for as little as $5.99. If you're getting the air replaced, or need Summer Air, the cost is quite a bit more. Shop around, and watch the newspaper for specials and coupons. Some places will rotate your air for free, if you have them change your oil and/or get a tuneup.
On 3/23/2013 11:30 PM, mechanics snipped-for-privacy@repairs.com wrote:

I've been practicing circular breathing and have been told it can help stave off Springtime allergies. ^_^
TDD
On Saturday, March 23, 2013 11:30:20 PM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@repairs.com wrote:

I fill mine with helium to avoid this process...an it gives a slight increase in mileage. (Recommended by Goodyear!)
On 3/24/2013 7:44 AM, Bob_Villa wrote:

a source of the nitrogen recommendation for years and can't find one. I did find a Goodyear recommendation only for heavy off-road equipment (earth movers and such like). They didn't recommend it for over the road truck tires.
Bill

Nitrogen is used in race car tires and some aircraft tires. There was some sensible reasoning for aircraft since they see big temperature swings from flight to landing. They can hit 200 degrees and have very high pressure. Nitrogen will not sustain a fire should one start to burn. That is from Goodyear in the 50+ page manual about aircraft tires.
If you want a recommendation, just ask the people that sell it. They will gladly tell you how wonderful it is. The logic of it is that the nitrogen molecule is larger than the oxygen molecule so it is less likely to leak. Since air is 80% nitrogen anyway, I'm not going to waste my money on a nitrogen fill.
IMO, it is a method of extracting more money from the consumer.
If I remember from my chemistry days, the atomic weight of nitrogen is 14, oxygen is 16. So, the oxy is heavier. And presumably larger.
The logic of it is that the nitrogen molecule is larger than the oxygen molecule so it is less likely to leak. Since air is 80% nitrogen anyway, I'm not going to waste my money on a nitrogen fill.
IMO, it is a method of extracting more money from the consumer.
Some people have a thing about masks, and would likely fight it being put on as best they could.
Lethal injection drug makers have stopped making the drugs it looks bad for their mainstream businesses.......
Put the cndemmed in a room and flood with nitrogen, makes it easier for the poor person being killed and those doing the job of taking anothers life.
On 3/24/2013 7:16 PM, bob haller wrote:

Not sure that that is entirely correct. They may have stopped marketing it for that purpose... Or, if it was a specialized compounding created for the purpose, what with all the court decisions coming down against capital punishment, it could just be an "orphan drug" There are plenty of those.
FWIW, reading through the drugs, their effect, and sequencing of administration, you might be surprised to learn that I was the recipient of that same protocol...
When you have a coronary artery bypass, they follow the same regimen. The difference being they bring you back (hopefully).
They put you to sleep and stop your heart an switch you over to a heart lung machine. When they are done, the reverse the procedure, maybe jump start the ticker, and you're off and running (again, hopefully).
They neglect to do the reversal with a legal execution.
'Stormin Mormon[_8_ Wrote: > ;3035603']If I remember from my chemistry days, the atomic weight of > nitrogen is 14, oxygen is 16. So, the oxy is heavier. And presumably > larger.
It's not quite that simple. In chemistry there's something called "electronegativity", which is a measure of how strongly different atomic nucleii attract the electrons around them.
[image:
http://www.green-planet-solar-energy.com/images/PT-small-electroneg.gif ]
You can see that except for fluorine, oxygen is the most highly electronegative element there is.
That means an oxygen atomic nucleus would attract the electrons around it more strongly than other atomic nucleii, and that means that the cloud of electrons around an oxygen nucleus would be smaller than you'd otherwise expect.
It turns out that despite an oxygen atom having more electrons than a nitrogen atom, the electron cloud around an oxygen atom is smaller in diameter than that around a nitrogen atom, cuz of that electronegativity. And that means that if you imagine an oxygen molecule to look like a small jelly bean, an oxygen jelly bean has a smaller diameter than a nitrogen jelly bean, which is why oxygen jelly beans can migrate through tire rubber more readily than nitrogen jelly beans.
--
nestork

Something new every day. That's way past my schooling level. But, thanks for a few moments of schollarly confusion just the same.
Did I want fries with that? Now we're back on solid ground. (deep sigh)
'Stormin Mormon[_8_ Wrote:

[...]

On 3/25/2013 1:09 AM, nestork wrote:

So after pumping up the tires a few times with plain air then the oxygen content of the tire will go down and level off at a very low level. No reason to pay a lot extra for nitrogen since you will wind up with mainly nitrogen after a while anyway. Of course considering how seldom I have to pump up my tires this may take a long time. About the life span of the tire.
Bill
On Sun, 24 Mar 2013 20:00:15 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"

Same size (Ideal Gas Law). The difference in atomic number also makes nitrogen a little more mobile, so a slightly better heat conductor, I think.
BTW, it's N2 and O2, so double your numbers.
Bill Gill;3035258 Wrote:

I'm skeptical of how much of a difference using nitrogen makes. The air we pump into our tires is 78 percent nitrogen already, and a tire properly installed on a rim with a new valve and stem should hold it's pressure for years. Paying extra to inflate the tire with 100% nitrogen gas seems to me to be just a way of separating the naive from their money.
Thanks for the tip, Mechanics_Corner.
I'm nearing retirement and was thinking about taking up a hobby that would earn me extra income during my retirement. Your post has given me the idea of moving to Honolulu, Miami or San Diego and laying in wait at bus stops. When the busses pull up, I could jump out and suck the air out of the bus tires and use it to inflate beach balls and air mattresses for people at the beach. Who knows, if the business grows I might franchise the business to people who want to work the airports. They could suck the air out of the tires on commercial jets and use it to inflate car and truck tires. Thanks again, man. I owe you one.
--
nestork

On Sun, 24 Mar 2013 19:11:48 +0000, nestork

Theoretically, you are right. In practice, it does not always work that way. Some of the alloy wheels have porosity and lose air.
I know of a couple of cases where air pressure would drop over a few weeks in one wheel and tire assembly and no one could find a leak is was so slow. I've had cars where I never put air in a tire for a couple of years.
On 3/24/13 9:33 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

leaked right where the tire is supposed to seat.

My X wife haad a car that had tires ALWAYS going flat. She drove the car on the flat and ruined the tire and wheel:( Short on cash I bought a steel wheel as a quick fix.,\\
a year later every other tire had gone flat at least twice. When getting a flat fixed I asked whats up at NTB. They showed me the white powder on the wheels sealing surface.
A OH MOMENT for me :)
Car needed tires anyway so I bought 4 new tires and steel wheels, moved the one existing tire steel wheel to the spare location..
Had almost no flats after that.
I will never buy a vehicle with alunimum wheels!!! not worth the hassles when they go flat:(
I think that is great wisdom. Aluminum rims are a big PIA.
Sadly, my Blazer came with aluminum rims.
Musically speaking, it's wise to avoid sharps, so you don't have flats.
My X wife haad a car that had tires ALWAYS going flat. She drove the car on the flat and ruined the tire and wheel:( Short on cash I bought a steel wheel as a quick fix.,\\
a year later every other tire had gone flat at least twice. When getting a flat fixed I asked whats up at NTB. They showed me the white powder on the wheels sealing surface.
A OH MOMENT for me :)
Car needed tires anyway so I bought 4 new tires and steel wheels, moved the one existing tire steel wheel to the spare location..
Had almost no flats after that.
I will never buy a vehicle with alunimum wheels!!! not worth the hassles when they go flat:(

Alloy wheels are laquered on the inside to prevent this.
On Sunday, March 24, 2013 3:11:48 PM UTC-4, nestork wrote:

There's one tire place that does nitrogen fills, and they don't charge extra for it. Their tire prices are competitive with others in the area.

The helium being lighter than air reduces the weight of the car thus reducing petrol consumption.
Hydrogen is even better. (This latter from OSBL) Recommended for every muslim as American air is haram.
Heh Heh!