tips or advice on backyard shed

i am going to assemble from precut kit a garden shed. is there any good website that you can recommend, or any tips for the dIY. thank you

Reply to
blueflame

if it's wooden, the only tip i have is to put it up on blocks or something to keep it from getting and staying wet. wooden sheds tend to rot, get eaten by bugs, etc.

Reply to
roger61611

if it's wooden, the only tip i have is to put it up on blocks or something to keep it from getting and staying wet. wooden sheds tend to rot, get eaten by bugs, etc.

Reply to
roger61611

Buy the best you can afford. Buy bigger than you need. Put it on solid piers or a small slab to keep it from rotting.

Do it once. Do it right.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

And put screening and black plastic under it to discourage rodents, rabbits, skunks etc. from taking up home there.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

look at

plenty of info. the pre-built kit is probably pretty basic. if you look over the pop mech SuperShed design/plans you may be able to improve your construction. ...thehick

Reply to
frank-in-toronto

Read the directions carefully. Then lay out and identify all of the pieces. Then read the directions again.

Reply to
Gort

What??????

Don't it come with instructions? If not, take it back and build one from scratch. You already paid double what the materials would cost if you cut them yourself, but you are paying all that extra money for the instructions and some guy that earns minimum wage to cut those boards all day long. Be prepared to have both missing and extra parts, those minimum wage workers are usually drunk or on crack cocaine, so you cant expect them to count the parts.

By the way, do you own a hammer and screwdriver? You'll need both.

You might also want to take a course at a local technical college to learn how to pound nails and turn screws. It takes a lot of skill to do those things. Or, just hire some local crackhead druggie homeboy, pay him minimum wage, and give him lots of beer. He'll build it for you and you can watch tv while he does all the work for you.

Reply to
Popeye

I built a small shed from scratch a few years back.To hold it up I used four cement footings I guess you would call them.The were actually made for decks, being a cement block with an opening the size to fit a 4x4. I put a threaded bar into the 4x4 opening and filled the hole with cement. Drilled a hole through the bottom of the shed frame and bolted it onto the block.

Michael Nickolas

Michael Nickolas