Tips on using a BIG compressor

Partly in response to a home project need, my wife "Father's Day'd" me with an air compressor and finishing nail gun. The salesman talked her into a larger model (Sears [DeVilbiss] 6.5HP, 30gal upright tank), way more than I need for things like blowing up tires, light finish nailing and such, but I dutifully did the "It's just what I wanted!" routine and now I've got it. Problem is, the compressor is so large that the circuit I have it in just barely handles it without tripping the breaker and the tank takes a long time to fill when I need what amounts to only a squirt or two of air. I guess one day I might be thankful for the capacity, but right now it seems like swatting a fly with a sledgehammer.
My question: Is there any problem with leaving the thing pressurized for long periods (i.e. a week or so) since I might go a few days without using it? It would definitely cut down on the electric usage and wait time while it fills.
JP

Not at all. Are you actually releasing the pressure between usages? No wonder it takes a while to get up to steam!
On mine (not quite the size of yours, but 30-gallon tank) I just plumbed in a ball valve inline with the air line, just after the regulator, to make sure I don't get any leakage while it sits, so it holds pressure indefinitely. This way, of course, mine doesn't even have to be plugged in. It's ready at all times for lighter duty jobs.
It costs money and wear & tear to run the thing up to pressure needlessly!
I would definitely get busy installing a dedicated heavy-duty circuit for that thing, though. Operating it on an inadequate circuit will cause too much voltage drop, which is really hard on the motor. It'll die young that way.
Robert A. Barr wrote:

I have one with 25 Gal tank. I too keep the tank near full all the time. Just from now and then, I open drain cock a bit to purge moisture. When I need to use it, I plug it in, flip the switch. I never empty the tank. I also installed shut off valve after regulator. The compressor is Campbell Housefeld, Extreme duty one. Tony
Most repair garages leave the comp turned on all the time, and keep the tank pressurized. It should oughta have a pressure switch so it turns on and off by itself.
--
Christopher a. Young
Learn more about Jesus

snipped-for-privacy@someplace.com ( Generic Male Homoape) Trollin STORMIN Mormon, trying to scare the guy for a new compressor eh
So Chris Youngs compressor doesnt really work, Beleivable
Plus yours is crap I see you say

Just be sure to drain(blow?) the water from the tank at the when you turn it off or at the end of the day. The water sitting in the tank can eventually rust it out.