Tips on insulating garage

I have been tearing out the old paneling and insulation from my garage (built in the 1940's) This is a red brick with 1/2 tongue and grove and 2x4 framing. This is a detached type - no living space. I was planning on typical vapor barrier type insulation. Should I also plan on plastic or anything else before I hang drywall? Or just staple the insulation between the studs?

also, where are you located?
Proposed use & frequency thereof? Year 'round use?
Does the garage have a ceiling or does one look up and see the underside of the roof?
cheers Bob
Outside of Chicago I am putting in a furnace that will heat it in the winter. The ceiling will be insulated and drywall also.

If your T&G siding, which is under the bricks, leaks drafts you may want to go all the way and cut and fit some Tyvek sheets between the studs and caulk the edges to cut the drafts. This will increase the effectiveness of your insulation and reduce heating bills. Around here, on a parallel plane to Chicago, we are required to use 6 mil poly vapor barrier sheets to cover the wall over the insulation, not bits and pieces that you would end up with if using insulation with a vapor barrier covering as it greatly reduces moisture transmission into the insulation. This could be important in your garage as cars in snow areas often track snow and slush, leaving the floors wet for weeks at a time.
There is a heavy layer of tar paper between the tongue and groove and bricks.

i would finish framing and have it sprayed with expanding foam R6 or R7 per inch, seals cracks etc.
will this be a living space or still a garage? if living upgrade wiring while walls are open

This is just a garage, not living space.

This is just a garage, not living space.
As you said..."It's just a garage"...Staple up the insulation and sheetrock it.....