Tips for info on maintaining oil furnace in garage

I have an old (and neglected) oil burnging furnace in my garage and when it works it's great. The problem is it's not at all reliable. I don't want to spend much money on repairing it so I thought I would do some basic troubleshooting myself first. Can anyone point me to some good reference material (preferrably on-line) for working on these things?
Thanks,
Old may not cause any problems, but 'neglected' certainly will.
You are dealing with your life here. If you are untrained in how to do repairs and maintenance on such things you are better off having a professional look at it.
Things that can cause problems are:
-Cracked heat exchanger. Carbon Monoxide kills. Have the equipt to check for it? -High limit not functioning -Poor or no draft. Do you have the tools to check the draft? -Efficency set up. Once again the correct tools. -Temp rise across the heat exchanger. Can lead to problems -Venting. Does it meet code. -Oil supply. What shape is it in. Don't want to drop 500gal into the enviroment.
There are usually specific codes in garages. Do you meet them?
So, I will go back and say. Have a pro look at it, and then ask him what you can do to maintain it in good shape from there.