Tipping tradespeople?

Page 1 of 2

Yesterday I had some work done at my house that was essentially a redo of a service that was done poorly a month ago. I had the same service performed last year, by a different company. Last year and yesterday, the servicemen implied that a tip was warranted (the one from last month couldn't get out of here fast enough; thus, the redo). Last year, the guy performed an extra service and I got the impression that the "tip" was a way for him to keep it under the table. Yesterday, I was told there would be no charge for the service, since it was a redo, but the guy said I should "feel free to offer a tip if you want to." In both cases, I actually did think the service was worth a little something extra, but it struck me as kind of an odd practice. Do you think this is usual?
Jo Ann

It would help to know exactly what the work was. But even so, it's pretty tactless, and it puts you in an awkward situation. Maybe, along with the monetary tip, you should tell him to find a job with a company that pays better.
The flip side: My experiences with my auto mechanic range from amazing to "I must be dreaming". I tried to tip him once, after he discovered something dangerous about a repair done by the car dealer. He said "I appreciate the gesture, but I make good money here". I sent him flowers. He still laughs about that.
I would not tip and have not been tipped, except for food or drinks. Hire someone not so greedy, prices are high enough.

I never tip a salaried person doing what they are getting paid to do unless they go above and beyond what they are supposed to do.

What does "salaried" mean exactly?

A person that gets paid by his employer either hourly or weekly. I'm not talking about a person that depends on tips for income such as waiters\\waitresses. I will give drinks or lunch but not money.
m Ransley wrote:

Coffee and maybe donuts are always appreciated.
Jo Ann,
Mischievous children will some times tip cows or pigs. It's not unheard of in rural areas. This should be discouraged. It's bad for the livestock and the kids will sometimes get lice. Tipping is a bad idea
Dave M.
LOL! The one who was here last month definitely looked like he could have been harboring lice....
Jo Ann
David Martel wrote:

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Hi, I did not tip but at the end of day I used buy meal or give them a bottle of spirit or case of beer, etc. Just small token of appreciation.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

No, I do not find it ususal. I do find it sleazy however. It is not usual to tip tradesmen. Tipping is always optional unless you are warned in advance. If the person asked or hinted for a tip then that is highly unprofessional. If you were especially thankful for the persons help you can of course offer money under any circumstance. If you pay cash under the table for extra work that is not a tip but just fair payment for serviced rendered.
I always tip waitresses close to 20%. I also tip my barber or stylist sometimes. One time I tipped two guys $50 bucks each for helping me move a large shed 250 miles to my new home. They were surprised since they had been paid in advance. the guy said he had never recieved a tip before. Those guys worked their ass off for me and got me out of a tough spot.
I don't believe in tipping but coffee and food is always appreciated. That way when I need a little something extra I'm not given a huge bill for it, you'd be amazed what a cup of coffee can buy. I retinley send pizza to my mechanics shop after a repair, I know they go way beyond what is asked and usual do small repairs for free. The way I look at it is that the "service" person will not get any benifits "financial" from me for the free service so instead of paying their company I pay them with free lunch.

If you like your mechanic that much, do somebody else a favor and post the shop's name here: http://www.cartalk.com/ct/mechx/add_shop.jsp
Based on the horror stories in car newsgroups, you might make someone's day, at some point in the future, when they finally escape the evil clutch of the car dealer.

I'd never post the name of my mechanic there. He has all the work he can handle and if he was inundated, I'd have to wait longer.

I don't believe I have ever been asked for a tip. It would make me very uncomfortable to hear something like that and I probably wouldn't hire them again. Having said that, if the workmen are courteous, do a good job and clean up adequately I'll usually throw them a few dollars.
I had an engineered wood floor put in a few months ago. The two guys that came by to do it didn't speak much English but worked very hard late into the evening to get the job done. The floor looks great. I made them some sandwiches in the middle of the day and brought them some cold soft drinks. I gave them $10 each at the end.
Greg Guarino
I think you folks are right -- it's the fact that they asked outright that's bugging me. The money was well earned. It's plumbing work, and in the first case (last year), the guy did some drain cleaning for me that was in no way associated with the job he was here to do. Yesterday, the guy spent 4 hours finishing the job the previous incompetent had spent 45 minutes working on (and called it finished). So I don't resent tipping them, as I do believe there was "above and beyond" effort. Just took me aback to be asked. Even those who DO depend on tips, like waiters, don't generally tell you that to your face.
Jo Ann
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Anyone asking or mentioning a tip, even if I was reaching for my wallet beforehand would get nothing. Its sleazy. And no one should automatically tip a waitress/waiter regardless of the service, this breeds poor habbits.
I would never ask or in any way do anything to make someone give me a tip. Very poor taste. I have been tipped by customers. And very large amounts at times. I appreciate the tips in money, coffee or just a simple card. I know my customer appreciates what I have done. My mechanic won't take money, I know he is a beer drinker so I bring him a couple of cases of beer every so often. He does many things and services beyond what he has to and some things he does not charge. He will some over to a job I am working on to take my truck in for service as he knows I don't have the time to do this. Locked me keys in the truck he is there within the hour. No charge. I get gift certificates to restaurants also. I have nice customers who appreciate me. But ask or hint, never. Bad taste.

Anybody that asks for a tip ain't gonna get one. I would offer something extra if they did something extra. I usually offer em a cigar if they're so inclined.
GWB wrote:

Cuban?