Tip for removing stripped screws

Hi,
Any creative tips for removing screws whose heads have nothing to catch? These are neither regular or Phillips Head screws. They have a special bit, kind of in the shape of a square. Anyway, the inside of the head is now a round, smooth circle.
Any ideas for removing them would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Richcosta wrote:

Short tern, use a Dremel type tool and a disk to cut a slot in the head. Turn with a standard screw driver.
Long term, think about investing in some Torx and square head screw drivers.

Almost certainly Robertson screws:
http://www.robertsonscrew.com /
They're actually pretty good. You can easily find the special screwdrivers and/or bits to fit them. Even the big box stores usually have some.
But if they're rounded, your best bet is a damaged screw remover. Sears sell them:
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00952154000P?pid952154000
Don't pay the regular price unless you need it right now -- they seem to mark them down to $4.99 or $9.99 on almost every sale event. Worth buying a set at that price. They work more often than not although it's not a perfect solution.

Not all that creative- but how about a screw extractor? ['easy out' type] http://homerepair.about.com/od/interiorhomerepair/ss/screw_extractor.htm
[hollow bit type] http://www.rockler.com/ecom7/product_details.cfm?offerings_id#54
I've never used the latter- and have had various results with the former.
Jim

I have also had good luck using a cutoff attachment to a dremel tool. Use it to cut a narrow a slot across the top of the screw and then use a regular screwdriver to extract the screw. It is simple to do and has always worked for me. I have found this method to be easier than using a screw extractor. If you do not have a dremel, they are fairly inexpensive and are an extremely useful tool to have in your tool bag. So you can use this problem as an excuse to buy one.
Richcosta wrote:

so where are you? Robertson screws we got here in Canada. There is or are extractor bits available in varying sizes depending on the screwhead which when you turn them left (like unscrew) byte into the head and unscrew or loosen the screw rw

On Thu, 20 Dec 2007 13:18:57 -0800 (PST), Richcosta

Take a spare Robertson bit and shorten it by a small amount leaving sharp corners. The bit is tapered so that it should also be a slight bit larger and impossible to bottom out completely.
Next take your special made bit and attach it to a impact driver http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impact_driver
On Dec 21, 12:36pm, snipped-for-privacy@mucks.net wrote:

You can also, sometimes, tap them around with a small chisel util you can get pliers or some kind of vise-grip tool onto them? Sounds like someone has 'screwed up' (excuse the pun) some either Torx or Roberstson screw heads. When replacing use something that you have drivers for.
I agree with tnom. I call them a hand impact driver. Position the tip, crank to the left, hit with a hammer. It will take out some mighty stubborn screws, like stripped out #3 Phillips head in hinges, etc.
--
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

Harbor Freight 93481 $6 with bits. If you've never used one it will be revelation.
Joe
Sounds like you have some Robertson screws. Must have gotten them from a Canadian friend as we don't normally allow Americans to use them :o) ( long bitter patent war).
Seriously these type of screws can be removed using a screw extractor. The extractor looks like a drill bit but the spiral is in the opposite direction. When you turn this extractor counterclockwise the spiral digs into the screw head and the screw comes out naturally. This toy has saved many a project, There are typically 3 sizes of these extractors. They are hardened steel . Ask santa to bring you a kit of 3. The kit should set you back roughly $18 us