Tinted Window Film-static cling type

I bought some of the above to put on my west facing windows. I have a large stationary and 2 medium size casement windows, both double paned.

After installing outside, and getting ready to toss the box, I read that it shouldn't be installed on double paned windows.

Can someone tell me why? They may be double paned but they aren't the best and the clear plastic window film I have over them balloons out on the windy day.

thanks!

Reply to
m a r g o

You installed clear film on the outside of a DP window?

I don't understand the reasoning behind that but what the instructions mean is, you shouldn't install *tinted* film on the *inside* of a DP window because the inner piece of glass will hold heat causing the outer pane to break.

They probably just print the same instructions on every box regardless of what the tint is. Clear, mirrored, grey, etc.

Reply to
Ron

My apologies for not being more thorough. I have the shrink wrap, clear film covering the inside of the DP windows to cut down on drafts and window condensation.

On the _outside_ of the DP windows, I installed tinted window film and read it wasn't meant for DP windows.

Is the heat build up the same on the outside, as it is on the inside? Will my windows break?

The one day it was sunny here, I could really tell a difference in how well it blocked the heat from the sun, between a tinted and untinted window. Is there a safe product to use?

Thanks for the info.

Reply to
m a r g o

As long as the tint is on the outer pane, you have nothing to worry about.

When the inner piece of glass is tinted, it causes a heat build up on the outer pane, which causes it to break because it is getting heat from both sides.

The darker pane of glass will always be the one to absorb the heat.

Reply to
Ron