Timer valve to delay toilet refill?

Page 3 of 3
On 6/1/2011 7:20 AM, Doug Miller wrote:

Sounds like you may be suffering from a low flow toilet that has a poor design as most did when first implemented and some do now?
If that is the case you may want to replace it with one of the much better performing models that are available.

Also need to watch out that nobody uses one of the chlorinated "disinfectant" tablets. If anybody isn't aware, look for "blue goo" in the Toiletology 101 series.

It's a 3.5-gallon flush.

I'm pretty sure it's user error. The same toilet has been in service for ten years, and only one person has this problem with it.
Doug Miller wrote the following:

Bidet!
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Are you serious? Honestly -- how practical do you think it is to try to teach an 87 year old with Alzheimer's to use a bidet?

paper,
up.
toilet
obviously
teach
Or anything new.
Dad was forgetting stuff at a prodigious rate. I don't know whether your relative is following the same track but little by little, things just slipped away from him but no new information was retained. I can only imagine how upset a bidet would have made him because he did seem to take comfort in the routine of things. Even if we told him about it and showed him how it worked, odds are he would have had a heart attack, a stroke or fallen off the toilet and fractured his skull when the water jet hit his butt.
FWIW, I had to plunge the toilet twice since this thread began and I can only wonder what someone with severe Alzheimer's would react to a plugged toilet. It's obvious - they would just flush again thinking/hoping/??? that it would clear on the second flush.
Have you "trimmed" the toilet valve yet? I hope the reduced flow solution works out for you. My dad passed before things got substantially orse. )-: It's been a pretty depressing thread (not your fault) for me, remembering the past and considering what the future holds in store.
-- Bobby G.