Timer valve to delay toilet refill?

Well, Fake, it sounds like you're unaware of a number of serious initiatives designed to make the lives of Alzheimer's patients and caregivers (usually spouses or children of the victim) easier, not harder. "Gadgets" as you term them, have already proved quite valuable in allowing Alzheimer patients and caregivers to live better lives. As you're probably aware, there are significant differences between early and late stages of dementia.

In the early stages of the disease, forgetfulness is the enemy. Many Alzheimers patient get institutionalized after an a cooking accident or some other serious event in the home linked to forgetfulness. There are devices to automatically shut off stoves before they can create a fire, anti-scald devices to prevent them from burning themselves with overly-hot water. There are GPS bracelets that can locate a strayed dementia patient who has strayed. They often leave their houses in very cold weather and die of expo sure before they are located. Before he died, I was working with HomeVision to create checklists for my father - things he needed to do each day, things he needed to do before leaving the house, etc. I'll agree that as dementia worsens, more care is needed, but in the early stages "gadgets" can be awfully helpful.

Robert Green

How can delaying the tank fill deal with the problem of too much paper?

Perhaps a bedside-type toilet - that doesn't USE water - is a solution? (Or an outside privy.)

Reply to
HeyBub

Plunge, then flush again.

Reply to
Tony Sivori

You're right. Just close the cutoff until produces a trickle that takes the desired time to fill the tank. Free, quick, easy, easily reversible, and effective. A no-brainer.

Reply to
Tony Sivori

Replace the toilet paper with a bell. Have somebody else do the wiping.

Reply to
Dbdblocker

One member of our household struggles with a similar clogging problem. Happy to say that it has nothing to do with Alzheimer's, age, or the amount of TP used. It's simply a volume issue.

An anti-clogging toilet is a good option, requires no additional training on the part of the user. Won't work 100% but definitely lessens the chances of a problem.

The bulletproof fix (even for most regular toilets) is FEFO - "flush early, flush often". This defeats the intent of modern low-flow toilets but I can tell you it's far preferable to the alternative mess. For the OP, this wouldn't work well (Alzheimer's).

Having said that, bolt-on (retrofit) automatic flushers are available. We had a bunch installed at work recently. The premise is simple...detect when a person is present and flush at the appropriate time (when the person leaves). I wonder if you could get one that flushed intermittently when the person is actually sitting down...FEFO. Might be worth looking into, if a little startling for the user!

Reply to
Borrall Wonnell

That's exactly where I'm coming from. With all due respect to those caring people who choose to keep impaired loved ones at home, there may come a time...

Meanwhile, if finances and/or social services permit, it would be great to have a helper, at least part time. That person will get the hang of the patient's elimination schedule and be there to help him/ her do the deed and clean up him/herself appropriately, w/o clogging toilet.

HB

Reply to
Higgs Boson

How does that solution keep too much toilet paper from entering the bowl? There seems to be an assumption that an Alzheimer's patient would be like the rest of us - too impatient to wait for the refill. I don't believe that's the case. From my experience, they would just repeat flushing over and over again until it flushed. The proof of that contention? They are already in a near-endless loop with the toilet paper. Wiping and rewiping, clogging the bowl with toilet paper. Repetitive actions are one of the hallmarks of dementia.

The solution would more likely involve a way to *prevent* that much paper from getting into the bowl in the first place. Attaching a bell to the paper dispenser would enable a care giver to intervene at the right point in the process. Having Alzheimer's doesn't mean you lose your dignity. It just means you have trouble exercising it. The last thing my dad wanted was help going to the bathroom. It would make him very angry and upset if you even offered. We just got a lot of floor mats to make accident cleanup easier.

The OP probably needs to just be happy his relative can still use the toilet without assistance and find a toilet that can deal with copious amounts of toilet paper without an overflow.

I also imagine that anyone else using that toilet will probably find that

*they* can't live waiting for minutes for the bowl to refill while ironically, a person with dementia would just keep wiggling the handle until it finally flushed. They wouldn't care how much time had passed because their sense of time has become so distorted from the disease.

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

I don't expect it to.

Too much paper, in and of itself, isn't a problem, as long as the toilet is flushed only ONCE. If it takes 20 minutes before there's enough water in the tank for a second flush, that's plenty of time for one of us to get there with a plunger to clear the clog.

Count how many problems you can see with that idea after spending more time thinking about it than it took to type the sentence.

What part of "87 year old with Alzheimer's" did you find confusing?

Reply to
Doug Miller

That wasn't the question the OP asked. The OP asked for a timer or device to make it take 20 or so minutes to fill the tank.

You raise valid questions. My guess is that the OP hopes to have an able-minded person on standby with a plunger.

I have doubts about that. The only way to truly limit the amount of paper used would be to limit the amount of paper available. Then, given the dementia, you could end up with the victim using bare hands and spreading fecal matter everywhere.

Now I'm puzzled. You say they get very angry if assistance is offered. Then you suggest that the caregiver enter and offer assistance.

My sincere condolences. Frequent cleanup of toilet overflow is bad enough, but repeated soakings of the subfloor and joists will result in significant damage.

A good suggestion. This is a lot more expensive than reducing the cut off valve to a trickle, but the OP might want to consider this clog resistant toilet:

Tony Sivori

During which time the clog can break down, or the water in the bowl can gradually drain away. Or both.

Bingo.

Probably not bare hands. More likely a bath towel.

[...]

And I'm hoping to avoid that.

Noted; thank you.

We're going to start with cheap toilet paper that (hopefully) will break down faster, and turning the shutoff valve nearly off to restrict water flow. If that doesn't do the job, then I think the next step is, as you suggest, a clog-resistant toilet.

Robert is overlooking the fact that anyone *without* cognitive impairments does not need to wait for the tank to refill, because the rest of us use appropriate amounts of paper *and* have the sense to not keep flushing an already-clogged toilet. Think about it, Robert: when you flush the toilet, do you stand there waiting for the tank to refill before you leave?

Reply to
Doug Miller

I hope the valve works for you without the expense of trying a new toilet.

My 85 year old Mother is in the early stages of Alzheimers. She seems very normal, then she will ask a conversation stopper kind of question, like do I own or rent my house.

Reply to
Tony Sivori

Time for wetwipes, to be discarded in the closed trash can nearby?

Reply to
Michael B

I realize that this is a repair group, but I'd like to respond to the issue of approaching Alzheimer's you mention. I suggest that you investigate the term "low dose naltrexone", within the quote marks, with the second term as Alzheimer's. Be willing to consider the prospect of halting the advancement of the condition. After all, you have already shown that it is in your family history. Feel free to contact me privately if you have questions. But if you do the research, you should be able to get a pretty good idea of why I've made these comments.

And if you are reading this with concerns about cancer, autoimmune dysfunction, alcohol or narcotics addiction, and others issues, just use the first term, with your concern as the second.

You just might be surprised at what you find.

Reply to
Michael B

Metamucil to deal with the "volume" issue. Leading to more frequent evacuations. Need good hydration.

Reply to
Michael B

Might as well throw in a URL as a start point.

Michael B

Sounds like you may be suffering from a low flow toilet that has a poor design as most did when first implemented and some do now?

If that is the case you may want to replace it with one of the much better performing models that are available.

Reply to
George

]Fahgoodnessake be sure the wet wipes are NOT the kind that clog the toilet. I used to mistakenly discarded them in the toitie, and wouldn't you know, it was just when relatives were visiting that it backed up. Talk about embarrassing!!! They kindly explained my dumb mistake, and now I keep by the toilet ONLY flushable ones like Cottonelle Fresh.

An impaired individual of all people must have accessible ONLY the flushable kind!

HB

Reply to
Higgs Boson

Also need to watch out that nobody uses one of the chlorinated "disinfectant" tablets. If anybody isn't aware, look for "blue goo" in the Toiletology 101 series.

Reply to
Michael B

It's a 3.5-gallon flush.

I'm pretty sure it's user error. The same toilet has been in service for ten years, and only one person has this problem with it.

Reply to
Doug Miller