Timer Installation on Window Unit....

I don't know if this is a project I should even be considering, but........How hard would it be to install a timer on an 8 year old Kenmore 12,000(?)BTU window unit? I had always heard that installing timers at the plug-in would wear out the compressor prematurely.

HTH: http://www.intermatic.com/?action=subcat&sid 5
lee h

Much better:
http://www.amerimerc.com/pool_supply/timers_n_controls/it_single_circuit.asp