timed porch light?

I had a porch light that I bought probably 10 years ago and it finally went out. It worked great in that it would go out after a delay even after the light switch was turned off. It was not light sensitive. Kind of like a garage door light operates. Any idea where I could get another one like that? I cannot make out what it says on the bulb anymore either.

Frank

Reply to
claudebetts

Here in UK we would use something like this; which is adjustable.

I had a porch light that I bought probably 10 years ago and it finally

Reply to
Main Man

?_dyncharset=UTF-8&howMany=15&searchText=timed+light+switch>

Hmm thats an interesting setup. I'll have to check further on that one. Thanks for the headsup on that.

Reply to
JLagg

?_dyncharset=UTF-8&howMany=15&searchText=timed+light+switch>>

Look for a "spring wound wall switch timer". You insert it into your existing wall box where the present on-off switch is and just crank the switch to however many minutes you want the light to operate. I use these in my bathrooms for the exhaust fans but there's no reason they wouldn't work for your needs. About $26 each at the Borg:

Mortimer Schnerd, RN

Oops... I just tried the link myself and it gave me some other page. You can just go to thier homepage and do a search for "timers". They sell the product called the "Spring Wound Wall Switch Timer" but i don't know any other way to link to it directly. You'll just have to do what I did.

Installation is super easy... just two wires like any other electrical switch. Fits in a single electrical box.

There are electronic timers as well... just a few more bucks. I don't know how well they hold up but my spring type bathroom timers have been in service for about three years without any problems.

Reply to
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

?_dyncharset=UTF-8&howMany=15&searchText=timed+light+switch> >>

ah yeah now that would work even better. At Home depot too. That bathroom timer gives me an idea. Thanks for the help!

Reply to
JLagg

Philips used to make an "IQ Bulb" that had a 15 minute timer in the base; it screwed into a regular light socket. The light would turn itself off after 15 minutes. If you wanted it to stay on, you flicked the switch ON/OFF/ON, and it would blink twice to let you know that it heard you, then it would stay on indefinitely.

I don't know if they are still made. They didn't cost that much.

Best regards, Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

Thats it that is what I had!. Wish I could get another. Guess the earlier ideas will be the way to go though.

Reply to
JLagg

They might still be available as just an adapter disk that goes on the bottom of a regular lightbulb:

a long time to load)

I get a DNS error when I ping

so they may have gone out of business.

One of the things on my todo list is to pull the chip out of the bottom of an burned-out IQ bulb and solder leads onto it to experiment.

Best regards, Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

(takes a long time to load)

there is also a "exit delay switch" that has an adjustable timer setting and an on/off switch.

turn light on , light stays on , turn off , and after the set delay the light turns off.

Reply to
marks542004