timed porch light?

I had a porch light that I bought probably 10 years ago and it finally went out. It worked great in that it would go out after a delay even after the light switch was turned off. It was not light sensitive. Kind of like a garage door light operates. Any idea where I could get another one like that? I cannot make out what it says on the bulb anymore either.
Frank
Here in UK we would use something like this; which is adjustable.
http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/sea/searchresults.jsp ;jsessionid=VKRX4HWJXC5WKCSTHZOCFEY?_dyncharset=UTF-8&howMany&searchText=timed+light+switch
Perhaps something similar in US.
On 1 Jan, 02:20, snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net wrote:

Main Man wrote:

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/sea/searchresults.jsp ;jsessionid=VKRX4HWJXC5WKCSTHZOCFEY?_dyncharset=UTF-8&howMany&searchText=timed+light+switch
Hmm thats an interesting setup. I'll have to check further on that one. Thanks for the headsup on that.
JLagg wrote:

Look for a "spring wound wall switch timer". You insert it into your existing wall box where the present on-off switch is and just crank the switch to however many minutes you want the light to operate. I use these in my bathrooms for the exhaust fans but there's no reason they wouldn't work for your needs. About $26 each at the Borg:
http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS/EN_US/diy_main/pg_diy.jsp?CNTTYPE=PROD_META&CNTKEY=misc%2fsearchResults.jsp&BV_SessionID=@@@@1262710292.1167653845@@@@&BV_EngineIDgjaddjkjhhfemcgelceffdfgidgll.0&MID76
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com
Mortimer Schnerd, RN wrote:

http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS/EN_US/diy_main/pg_diy.jsp?CNTTYPE=PROD_META&CNTKEY=misc%2fsearchResults.jsp&BV_SessionID=@@@@1262710292.1167653845@@@@&BV_EngineIDgjaddjkjhhfemcgelceffdfgidgll.0&MID76
Oops... I just tried the link myself and it gave me some other page. You can just go to thier homepage and do a search for "timers". They sell the product called the "Spring Wound Wall Switch Timer" but i don't know any other way to link to it directly. You'll just have to do what I did.
Installation is super easy... just two wires like any other electrical switch. Fits in a single electrical box.
There are electronic timers as well... just a few more bucks. I don't know how well they hold up but my spring type bathroom timers have been in service for about three years without any problems.
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com
Mortimer Schnerd, RN wrote:

http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS/EN_US/diy_main/pg_diy.jsp?CNTTYPE=PROD_META&CNTKEY=misc%2fsearchResults.jsp&BV_SessionID=@@@@1262710292.1167653845@@@@&BV_EngineIDgjaddjkjhhfemcgelceffdfgidgll.0&MID76
ah yeah now that would work even better. At Home depot too. That bathroom timer gives me an idea. Thanks for the help!
snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net wrote:

Philips used to make an "IQ Bulb" that had a 15 minute timer in the base; it screwed into a regular light socket. The light would turn itself off after 15 minutes. If you wanted it to stay on, you flicked the switch ON/OFF/ON, and it would blink twice to let you know that it heard you, then it would stay on indefinitely.
I don't know if they are still made. They didn't cost that much.
Best regards, Bob
zxcvbob wrote:

Thats it that is what I had!. Wish I could get another. Guess the earlier ideas will be the way to go though.
JLagg wrote:

They might still be available as just an adapter disk that goes on the bottom of a regular lightbulb:
http://web.archive.org/web/20051124050305/http://www.beacon-light.com/bulbboss.htm (takes a long time to load)
I get a DNS error when I ping www.beacon-light.com, so they may have gone out of business.
One of the things on my todo list is to pull the chip out of the bottom of an burned-out IQ bulb and solder leads onto it to experiment.
Best regards, Bob
zxcvbob wrote:

http://web.archive.org/web/20051124050305/http://www.beacon-light.com/bulbboss.htm
there is also a "exit delay switch" that has an adjustable timer setting and an on/off switch.
turn light on , light stays on , turn off , and after the set delay the light turns off.