Time release safe?

This sounds crazy, but I've got a niece who is bad with money. Her mother wanted to know if I could build a safe that would would remain locked to everyone for a certain time period but after that anyone could get into it. In the past, my niece would ask her mother to hold the money for her so she wouldn't spend it, but then when she wanted it she would pester her mother and then her mother would eventually give in because after all it was her daughter's money. I know it's a crazy situation and without commenting on her parenting techniques I told her I'd consider trying to build it. I only work with wood. I can build the bank so that it would be impossible to take it apart without destroying it, but I have no idea where to get any kind of time-release hardware which I can only assume would have to be battery powered hopefully with a fail safe that would open the bank if the batteries went dead.
Anyone have an idea what kind of what hardware would work and where to get it? I know it's a nutty problem, but I figured I'd have as much luck getting advice here as anywhere. Thanks.
tell one of them to put the money in a condem and swallow it. it will be inaccessble for a couple days.
randy

On 25 May 2004 21:23:47 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Mak Wilson) wrote:

7-11 and the like have those types of things, some even have a cap that can be discharged. These aren't cheap, so her best bet would be to take a money management class at her local consumer credit counseling service (part of United Way).
Do a Google search for "Timed-Access Cash Controllers"
If you were to build a strong box maybe you could add TWO different locks. Then you would need agreement between two people to unlock it!

Mak Wilson wrote:

Three words: Certificate of Deposit.
And have the niece take a money-management class, or send her a Suze Orman book or something. (Maybe even psychotherapy. This could be bipolar, or another deeper issue.) Depending on someone else to keep you from spending money is just like the stage where alcoholics have friends watch their bottlees -- it won't work in the long run. The alcoholic has to learn to not drink, for themselves.
800 series timers: 365-day programming through the year 2095... http://www.grasslin.com/talento.html
Or search google.com for... 365 day timer