Time for Mr. Woodchuck to go

Page 1 of 4
I've been tolerating the bastard living under my shed since I moved in 3 years ago, because everything I've tried to do to get rid of him has only resulted in more damage to the shed.
When I moved in he had his entrance under the front corner of the shed. When I filled that in with rocks and broken glass, he went in under the wall of the lean-to, and dug another hole into his burrow from the back of the shed.
I've tried gassing him with propane. I've tried all the folk repellants. Apparently he likes being clean and eating spicy food, because neither irish spring soap nor cayenne pepper phased him.
The bugger has gone all Hannibal Lechter on me. There was a half- rotted possum carcass in the entrance to his burrow. I thought that would drive 'em away, so I left it. Now it's gone.
He's always left my stuff alone, but now he's developed a taste for gasoline. He removed the gas cap from my push mower, and chewed the neck off the gas tank.
I'd love to sit on my back porch and pick him off with a rifle, but discharge of firearms is a big no-no.

Havahart trap. Toss trap & critter into deep water. Talk like Tony Soprano while doing so.
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

Dittos to Havahart trap but rather then kill them, I prefer to relocate groundhogs to a more affluent neighborhood ;)
The one time I caught a woodchuck in a Havahart. I was going to take him out that night. But when I went back to the cage at o'dark thirty, someone had opened the cage and let the critter out.
Incidentally, a 15 minute road flare was lit and stuffed into the hole, which was then back filled with rocks and earth. Havn't seen any more wood chuck holes.
I have the same restrictions on shooting the little furry devil.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Stormin Mormon wrote:

I actually take them to parkland about 4 miles away. One neighbor catches in his Havahart then drowns them in a garbage can. First time I had problem I dumped a pint of chloroform down the hole and sealed it. Then a couple of years later, groundhogs liked a spot under stairs on a bank and I caught and released a couple but for future deterring, I had to cement hole under stairs.
Main problem with the Havahart is you don't know what you are going to catch. Along with groundhogs, I've caught skunks, possums, raccoons, squirrels and birds. One week I had to make 4 trips to the park dumping the other critters before I caught the groundhog.
I've posted this before: http://home.comcast.net/~frank.logullo/thief.pdf
Wish I had photographed the skunks but at the time my urgency was to release momma skunk while 4 kids were hovering around the trap.
Frank wrote:

1600 Pennsylvania Avenue?
TDD

You need someone like the groundskeeper in Caddyshack to give you some ideas.

Is there a pellet gun out there with the knock-down power of a .22? I know I could pick the no good rodent off with a rifle, but all my old Daisy airgun will do is pi$$ him off. Knowing him he'd probably set fire to the shed just for spite.

Is there a pellet gun out there with the knock-down power of a .22? I know I could pick the no good rodent off with a rifle, but all my old Daisy airgun will do is pi$$ him off. Knowing him he'd probably set fire to the shed just for spite.
============ Yes. Ask at a real gun shop. Have bail money ready for when the cops haul you to jail and take your pellet gun. They'll listen to your story, and the complaint from the hysterical mommy next door. They'll like her story better because they have to.
I saw on another usenet list, a guy was out back of his store, shooting rats with an airgun. Someone called 911 account of the guy with the "scoped sniper rifle".
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
In wrote:

go find some sub sonic 22s no noise
What? I didn't hear you?
http://www.nles.com/store/files/images/thumbs/z132.jpg
See image above for smiley face, but I didn't hear a thing.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
-snip-

<$100 at your local Walmart- http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_idY13352
Mine accounts for about 100 squirrels a year- and a few rabbits and a couple woodchucks.
First shot sounded like a 22 long rifle- as the oil got cleaned out it calmed down to pellet-gun level noise. I tossed the scope & find the gun accurate as all get-out to 100feet or so which is all I need. After shooting mostly squirrels, the head on a woodchuck or rabbit looks huge at that range.
On a related note- can an air-gun kill a woodchuck? Sure. How about a buffalo? http://www.bigboreairguns.com/07bisonhunt.htm [a 457 air gun with a 510grain bullet]
Jim

http://www.midwayusa.com/Eproductpage.Exe/showproduct?saleitemidg8232

I have shot some similar to that in a bolt action 22 and it seems like the bullet hitting the dirt about 20 yards away made more noise than the actual shooting.
Some of the pellet guns have plenty of energy to kill the woodchuck. When I was growing up in the city my dad and I shot a bunch of squirrls out of a pecan tree in the back yard with a Crossman 22 pump up gun.
They do make .22 caliber air rifles.
As to the Crossman type, use pointy tip pellets. They penetrate better. You can shoot squirrels off the trees with a pointy pellet. Uhm. Er. I mean "I've heard you can....." you know.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

From another newsgroup:
--- begin quote
"No one knows when the first rabbit appeared on [University of Victoria] campus, but an estimated 1,500 of them currently call it home. The university has come under pressure to cull the animals by angry neighbours but how that might be accomplished is fuelling a raging debate.
"Proponents of the doomsday approach have taken a shine to something called the Rodenator."
Heh!
http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-columbia/story/2009/04/18/bc-rabbits-uvic.html
File picture of rabbit
http://akosut.com/log/img/FLUFFY%20BABY%20BUNNY.jpg
--- end quote
Rodenator home page with video http://www.rodenator.com/pests-controls-videos-rodenators
I don't see why you can't make your own "rodenator" with a tank of propane (or MAPP gas) and some Oxygen*. In olden days, we used to deal with rat tunnels by:
1. Throw a few chunks of Calcium carbide down the tunnel. 2. Add water. 3. Temporarily block opening. 4. Wait about a minute 5. Throw a match down the hole, igniting the acetylene.
Years ago, I was visiting the Audubon Society of Western Pennsylvania and was introduced to their semi-pet groundhog, Harriet. We don't have groundhogs in my part of Texas, so I offered to trade a Pennsylvania groundhog for a Texas armadillo.
"Good God, NO!" said the excited executive director.
"Uh, why not?" said I.
"Can you imagine what the granny-ladies who are walking our nature trails would do if an armadillo suddenly waddled out in front of them? We'd had dead grannies littering the paths!"
-------- Figuring out the igniter would be fun: The first thought that comes to mind is a spark plug, some long wires, and a salvaged ignition coil...

A 22 cal "CB cap" would do the job quietly and efficiently. These are more powerful than most air rifles and less powerful/noisy than a 22 short. They are pretty nearly silent. You are still discharging a firearm though. In fact here in the police state of NJ shooting an air gun is legally classified as discharging a firearm...go figure.
I had one who decided to burrow down beside my house. I tried everything to get him to leave. I finally saturated a towel with household ammonia and forced it down his hole with a long stick..then poured the rest of the gallon in. After I did this two or three times the little bugger left.
YMMV, EJ in NJ

Use of an air gun is legally classified as use of a firearm?
Does that mean it is legal to use an air gun where it is legal to use a "real gun" in NJ? And illegal to use an air gun in place of a "real gun" to be used illegally?
Does this only mean that use of an air gun to commit a crime makes the crime a "gun crime", or is it worse?
Meanwhile, it appears to me that in at least most of the 50 States shooting of varmints and for that matter "plinking" with "real guns" is not prohibited nor badly regulated by state law. And it appears to me that prohibitions on discharging firearms in general are municipal laws and not state ones.
Don Klipstein wrote:

In the state of New jersey, air guns, BB guns and CO2 guns are legally classified as firearms and all the rules for firearms pertain to them.
If you use a BB gun (or pellet gun etc.) in the commission of a crime and you are subject to the same penalty as if you had used a "real" gun.
Also FYI, slingshots are illegal here.
I didn't write the laws, I just live with them.
I have seen a person dragged into court for illegally carrying a firearm, when he had an unloaded Daisy Red Rider BB gun in his trunk.
I strongly suggest that people should never drive through this state with a firearm (as defined by NJ) in their car, or on their your person.
EJ in NJ