Time for a new central AC, need advice.

Page 2 of 2

We sell a lot of Amana have had pretty good luck with it. $5K for only a condensing unit seems very high. I know of the lifetime compressor warranty, but I'm not sure if it is offered on only a condenser replacement. I sorta think it is only on a system with a matching evaporator installed at the same time, but I'm not positive. You need to make sure that the inside unit has an expansion valve, or will have one installed as part of the installation. Also, make sure that if the new unit has a 350/370 volt run capacitor they replace it with a 440 volt at the time of install or no deal. We have been seeing the original 350/370's fail in as little as 2 months. We replace them now when we install a unit. Other than that, they are a pretty nice unit, and fairly quiet. Good luck Larry PS I would shop around a little-- with other reputable contractors-- not cutrate hacks--to see if the price you were quoted is the going rate in your area. It may well be, but even for a 5 ton here it would be less than $5K. One more thing-- is this a heat pump?
Add pictures here
✖
On Sep 23, 11:31 pm, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Lp1331 1p1331) wrote:

I had Lennox 3 ton heatpump with NG backup installed. This was everything including new ductwork for a little over $6K.
Jimmie
Add pictures here
✖
13 seer is junk. Insist on the 16 seer. It'll pay for the difference in price in two seasons.

✖
Steve Barker DLT wrote:

Little lower efficiency is equal to junk? I thought poor quality product meant junk.
Add pictures here
✖
i suppose perhaps the wrong word. But why put in 1990 technology?

✖
snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com wrote:

Go to hvacmechanic.com. Better place to ask question like this.
Add pictures here
✖
snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com wrote:

Five grand for a three ton condensing unit?!!! Holy Cow! That sounds kind of high even for Florida. Did the guy have a shiny new truck? Things would work out better if you replaced the evaporator on the air handler/furnace for one that matches your new condenser but the price, I wish I could get away with prices like that. GEEZ!
[8~{} Uncle Monster
Add pictures here
✖
Uncle Monster wrote:

3 ton is too small for 2500 sqf house for sure.
Add pictures here
✖
Tony Hwang wrote:

I've seen 2 ton systems on well insulated 2500 sq foot homes that work great here in Alabamastan. Land of the hot humid summers.
[8~{} Uncle Monster
Add pictures here
✖
no way.

✖
Steve Barker DLT wrote:

even know how to post to Usenet.
[8~{} Uncle Monster
Add pictures here
✖
I post just fine. You the one putting the shit on the bottom.

✖
Steve Barker DLT wrote:

[8~{} Uncle Monster
Add pictures here
✖
On Sep 23, 9:24 pm, snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com wrote:

Do research on seer and efficency and payback 13 seer is not real good for a high use area where you are, there is quite a difference from 13-14, and 13-15.
Add pictures here
✖
snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com wrote:

Mitsubishi ductless mini split system is the best.
--
Blattus Slafaly ? 3 :) 7/8

Add pictures here
✖
Look into going Geothermal. Once installed heating, cooling and hot water will cost about $50 a month. It will pay for itself in about 10 years.
Add pictures here
✖
On Sep 24, 4:27 pm, snipped-for-privacy@mucks.net wrote:

Geothermal in FL is going to pay for itself in 10 years? Says who? In FL, the need for heating is minimal, so you're paying for a high cost install system and then using it largely for AC only. I find it hard to believe it's going to be economically viable, let alone pay for itself in 10 years compared to a gas heat/AC system,
Add pictures here
✖

I don't know the payback for sure, but w/ the high water tables and hot weather, the heat rejection dT should be quite a lot better than air-air so it might be pretty good. I've never had any reason to look at it specifically, but I'd not rule it out a priori...
✖
On Thu, 25 Sep 2008 04:03:56 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

You must have a crystal ball. I responded to the original post which didn't mention any location.
The 10 years is accurate for northern climates. I have no idea what the payback time is in Florida.
Add pictures here
✖