Time change due

It's a psychological problem -- I know ltime is just a number, but that number is deeply ingrained in our mind -- "9 to 5", "news at 11" (or 10), etc.
I'm a prime example -- I'm generally a night owl, and while I *love* Daylight Saving Time for the "extra" hour of light after work, I'd bristle angrily if my employer suggested that I come in at 7 instead of 8 for half the year. Yes, I know it's exactly the same thing, but I'd still have trouble with it (and often be late), and I suspect many many others are the same. I can look at a clock that says midnight, and know it's time to go to sleep regardless of the actual time, but I'd have trouble looking at a clock that says 11PM and convincing myself it was time to go to bed.
Perhaps if *everything* shifted, from TV schedules to evening classes to store opening/closing hours...but then it's really DST again :-)
Josh

OK time to float my crazy idea! We should have one world wide time system. So zero hours in say New York (or Zurich, Moscow, London etc.) would also be zero hours 'everywhere' in the world. Much simpler? Midnight in New York is presently 01.30h in the morning here on the east coast of Canada and 05.00h in London! So what? With one World Time Zone, I'd soon get used to getting up when my clock read 05.30 instead of 07.00h, or having supper when the clock reads 16.30h instead of 6.00 PM! By the way it should be a 24 hour system not this weird 12 hour division! I notice that some people when travelling away from home will keep their watch on 'home time' so as to keep in touch with events they are used to. While the zone they may actually be in can be many hours ahead or behind! Living for while in the Middle East one was aware that early morning (6.00 AM) North American radio broadcasts available via the inter-net occurred at half past midday! Didn't matter what the clock said, that's when they were available! Flame away!
stan wrote:

Shrug. I make my living from the government at the fringes of the IT world, with an agency that has offices all over the world. Zulu and 24 hour clock are second nature. My peeve is some mail systems correct the time stamp to local time, and some don't. Makes it hard to sort the inbox sometimes. It was easier in the old AUTODIN message days, when everything was Zulu.
-- aem sends...
OK time to float my crazy idea! We should have one world wide time system. So zero hours in say New York (or Zurich, Moscow, London etc.) would also be zero hours 'everywhere' in the world. Much simpler? Midnight in New York is presently 01.30h in the morning here on the east coast of Canada and 05.00h in London! So what?
************************************************************* We have GMT so everything would go from there It should also be a 24 hour time so there is no AM or PM confusion.

As for confusion, try working out near the International Date Line. I spent 18 months in far out Aleutians where our work was in Zulu time so the date changed at 11 am....or was it 1pm? Add in almost 24 hour dark or light and things really got confusing. I once came in from shift, flaked out, woke up clock said it ws time to get up for next shift. Wandered totallyi deserted hallways for awhile before I figured out I had only been in bed a hour or so.
Harry K
stan wrote:

As long as you're intent on confusing everybody, why not switch over to metric time as well? Ten metric hours in a day, ten metric minutes in an hour and ten metric seconds in a minute.
Think how easy microwaves and VCRs would be to set.
HeyBub wrote:

ISTR that _Electronics Australia_ (or maybe it was still _Radio, TV and Hobbies_ at the time) once reported that on April 1 of that year Australia would be changing to the new Metric Time standard. But I no longer recall how things were to be divided up -- maybe even a 10-day week?
It must have been around the time that Australia was in the process of -- by stages -- decimalizing everything else.
Perce
On Sun, 11 Oct 2009 15:11:29 -0400, "Percival P. Cassidy"

The metric unit of time is the second (the same one hypercomplicating people use). No other units may be used, just metric prefixes.
some conversions:
1 Kilosecond (KS, 1*10^3) = 16.7 minutes 1 megasecond (MS, 1*10^6) = 11.5 days 1 gigasecond (GS, 1*10^9) = 31.5 years 1 terasecond (TS, 1*10^12) = 31.5 millennia
1 millennium = 31.5 GS 1 decade = 315.5 MS 1 year = 31.5 MS 1 month = 2.63 MS 1 week = 604.8 KS 1 day = 86.4 KS 1 hour = 3.6 KS
The author of this message is approximately 1.56 GS old.

    Would the box weight then be in metric tons?

Well I can and did just that, but it has a downside. Used to be, I'd get up at six, my wife got up at 6:30 and breakfast was ready when I got out of the shower. We'd watch the news and 20 minutes of the Today show and I'd leave for work. I decided to go in an hour earlier to be home an hour earlier.
So, what is the downside? My wife no longer gets up to make me breakfast. Too early for her.
On Sun 11 Oct 2009 05:09:15a, Ed Pawlowski told us...

We don't observe DST in AZ and I'm fine with that.
--

~~ If there\'s a nit to pick, some nitwit will pick it. ~~

Like the old Indian saying. Only white man think cut some off one end of blanket and sew onto other end of blanket make blanket longer.
What other benign edicts? Forbid bottom posting?
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Grin, actually I prefer bottom posting with clean-up (just easier to thread and read) but I'm not worried about it. In one of my newsgroups, we have lots of top posters because it's allowed explicitly, to support several of our buddies in there who use screen readers for the blind. (Some screen readers are difficult/almost impossible to position the cursor to the bottom).
Snicker, you might possibly remember one of them (who is able to bottom post in her case) who came to here for some expert advice on a project. She was making a baking table with a bottom shelf over her radiator for the rising station. It's working a charm I gather? I know she got all the plans she needed and has referenced the bake shelf since.

You think you have it bad. I may have the math backwards and some details wrong, but it's basically like this: A few years ago, Israel had delayed the end of daylight saving time until the new years holidays were over, which are spread out over almost 4 weeks in September and October. The disputed territories were already off of DST and Arabs there had assembled a bomb with a timer, which they gave to someone else in Israel to plant, to murder civilians. However the second guy was using DST, thought he had an extra hour, and both he and the bomb were still in his car when it exploded.

Since about 2-3 years ago, it is now the first Sunday in November rather than the last Sunday in October previously since DST was introduced by the Nixon administration.
The Spring forward date is also changed as of a few years ago to several weeks earlier in March rather than first Sunday in April.
One effect is the kiddies now have to wait another hour to start their candy assault on Halloween, as it still stays light until 7:00 PM. In the old convention with end of DST in October, kiddies could start their assault at 6:00 PM.

You misspelled "Johnson" -- it was standardized nationwide in 1966.
It was also implemented, temporarily, during both WWI and WWII.
Doug Miller wrote:

And was originally proposed by Ben Franklin.
Dimitrios Paskoudniakis wrote:

I have a Daylight Savings Time patch for Windows 2000 that I use on all Win 2K installs. It's bad when the computer has no idea what time it is.
TDD
On Sun 11 Oct 2009 12:46:32p, The Daring Dufas told us...

Actually, that became a huge issue during Y2K remediation, especially for large companies with hundreds of PCs.
--

~~ If there\'s a nit to pick, some nitwit will pick it. ~~

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

I was installing daughter cards made by MR. Bios or changing out the bios chips on a lot of business machines back then. I think there may still may be a few people hiding out in their Y2K bunkers and when they come crawling out, will be stunned at what we have for a President. Who'd a thunk it back then?
TDD