Time change due

Page 1 of 3

Q: When does the time change back in October 2009?
A: November 1st 2009.
Confuse me once.

Referring to change from summer to winter time. In North America? (i.e. USA-Canada.)
Not necessarily same date or even any change at all elsewhere.
Never saw the point of this summer time business anyway.
Since these days it's a world society/economy
Right now it's about 09.45h in London, around 01.45h in Los Angeles and about 06.15h here!
Some countries don't alter their clocks at all and some observe their sabbath on days other than than our (western) Sunday.
So what; it's all a human inventionto fit in with the earth's rotation in reference to the sun and seasons of the year!
If someone decided that we can all work on United Nations Time based on say New York, or Geneva etc. so be it.
stan wrote:

On United Nations' time, we wouldn't get any work done at all.

Arizona in the US does not switch to DST. Yet within Arizona the Navajo Nation does.

Yeah, I remember finding that a bit confusing when driving through AZ some years ago -- the time kept changing, and I didn't know why.
Hawaii also doesn't observe DST, and until quite recently neither did Indiana.
On Oct 11, 7:30am, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

Try Idaho. I don't know what they do about DST but the south part of the state is in Mountain time, the northern part in Pacific Time. I have no clue as to why. The western border runs due N-S so why does the time zone take a zig?...Perhaps economics as the northern part is more connected to Washington state economically.
Harry K

Indiana.
Try Idaho. I don't know what they do about DST but the south part of the state is in Mountain time, the northern part in Pacific Time. I have no clue as to why. The western border runs due N-S so why does the time zone take a zig?...Perhaps economics as the northern part is more connected to Washington state economically.
Harry K
I suspect that on one side of the line is Spokane and the other is Coeur d'Alene and there is not much in idaho east of Coeur d'Alene.
Several states have 2 time zones and seems that the areas of population density in adjacent states seem to be the reason.
--

Roger Shoaf

Roger Shoaf wrote:

Yep. El Paso is on a different time zone than the rest of Texas. 'Course El Paso is closer to San Diego than it is to Houston (and Houston is closer to Fort Lauderdale than it is to El Paso).
For that matter, Moscow is closer to New York City than it is to Vladivostok. Of course Russia spans twelve time zones (half the world!).

El
El Paso is on mountain time because that puts it in sync with Los Cruces MN and Juarez Mex.
--

Roger Shoaf

Most likely. There are a few counties in NW Indiana that are on Central time (the rest of the state is on Eastern) because of their proximity to Chicago. And back when we didn't observe DST, those counties, plus a few in the Cincinnati area, *did*, because of the economic connections to those cities.
On Sun, 11 Oct 2009 16:03:54 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

For that matter, Greenwich England is no longer on Greenwich Time. In fact aiui none of England is, because they lost 2 hours a day of commerce with Europe. So they changed to some time most of Europe uses.
(Doug Miller)

Yea, ughhh, I think their time is now in Euros.
harry k wrote:

Idaho does not exist, it's a myth. I read it in the interweb.
http://tinyurl.com/yz2hfkv
TDD

Damn, I missed that but it certainly must be valid.
Harry K

I didn't know THAT. If they leave the reservation they have to know what time it is in Arizona.
stan wrote:

Usually an hour between time zones. Is yours divided up into half hour or 15 minute periods ;)
Frank wrote:

Maybe he is actually in NJ? Years ago when Saturday Night was actually funny the news segment had a number of clocks on the wall with NY and other times. NJ was always (I think) 20 minutes behind everyone else.
Oren wrote:

You think you get confused? At work and in real life, I have to communicate with relatives and associates in other countries, that change on different dates in spring and fall. A real PITA. Good thing there are online lookups by country.
Bad enough that the planet follows this silly useless custom that saves nothing, but they should at least agree on one set of dates worldwide to switch back and forth.
If I was benign dictator of the world, canceling daylight savings would one of the edicts in the first couple of days. Want more daylight? Get up earlier.
-- aem sends...

I get up in the dark now so how will that get me more daylight?
The light to dark ratio changes with the season, but the start work in light or dark is not only a function of DST, but of your place in the time zone. Personally, I'd like to see the time shifted forward an hour, like it is in DST, year round. If I lived at the western end of the zone, I'd probably not care. My choice is to have the daylight time at the end of the work day, not the beginning, but others probably differ.
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Well, yeah, I do understand that one person can't unilaterally change the hours his employer is open. But that puts the onus on the employers, schools, whatever. Change the schedules to start earlier when dawn comes earlier, so your employees can have evening daylight to do whatever. Pretty routine in construction down south. Crews start at first light, to work in the cooler part of the day.
-- aem sends...