Timber Deck on Concrete Pool

I have an inground concrete pool and I want to build a timber deck around it. The deck will only be about 250mm from the ground to match the height of the top of pool. My question is, is it safe to attach a ledger board to the pool shell? The pool shell is 300mm thick reinforced concrete, and I would drill in 50mm and insert an expanding masonary bolt to hold the board. My pool builder has said he thinks it will be fine and will not affect the integrity of the pool.
Has anyone else done this? Do you think this is a bad idea?
cheers
Bruiser
I agree with your pool builder. The concrete is over 11 inches thick, and your masonry bolts are going in only 2 inches. As long as you can avoid any rebar while drilling, I think you'll be fine. Tom

Personally I would hesitate to put any wood next to the pool. Especially if the wood would drain into the pool. Wood, chlorine, water, sun, just a bad combination as far as I am concerned.

I think structurally it would be sound. But if you are talking about a wood ledger it will be a water trap and cause a dry rot situation. I think you would have to design a air gap between the gunite and wood for air flow. You could attach so kind of flashing to divert water over you ledger. You could also use a composite material for a ledger.