Tilting a compressor for transport

I'm planning to go pick up a used air compressor on a flatbed trailer. It's a 60 gallon vertical tank with a oil-lubricated reciprocating type compressor on top. Is it okay to lay it down on it's side for 20 minutes or will oil drain into places it's not supposed to? Thanks,

Reply to
Pason

I bought one brand new about two years ago, I had NO choice BUT to lay it on its side in my Explorer. It actually had to stay in the truck overnight because there was no way that I could get it down the stairs without help, once I got the the help I hooked it up and it has worked perfectly ever since. It was moved again last year, but not in the same fashion. Now its all plumbed in its new home and purrs like a kitten.

Searcher

Reply to
Shopdog

It will likely get some oil into the Cylinder, I'd drain if first. Also drain the tank if it's got water in it it can get into places it shouldn't as well and take scale with it.

Reply to
javelin.exile

With my compressor, I'd be more concerned with it running out and all over the place.

Reply to
scott21230

It's not a problem to lay it down....I did my 60gal compressor the same way and had no problems with it.

Reply to
J.A. Michel

Thanks for all the opinions. I'm gonna want to do an oil change on it anyway so I'll drain the oil if it's easy. I'll also drain any moisture while I'm checking it over.

Pas> I'm planning to go pick up a used air compressor on a flatbed trailer.

Reply to
Pason

It'll be fine. When you set it back up, just pull it through a couple of revolutions by hand to make sure there's no oil in the cylinder.

Reply to
Steve Barker

It is possible that oil could enter the cylinder and get on the top side of the piston. Unlike an engine, the exhaust valve on a compressor operates as a check valve, but it still could create problems if there is a significant amount of oil above the piston when the compressor is turned on. Given how easy it is to drain the oil from most compressor crankcases, you might consider doing that.

Reply to
Larry W