Tiling over crack in slab floor

I'm attempting to tile my house floor and would appreciate some opinions here.

In order to tile over a crack, is it best to use a 'fabric' to cover the crack, or the type of 'thinset' that allows for movement? Your help will be appreciated.

Lewis.

*******
Reply to
limeylew

Tile Council of America has its Installlation Methods on line. TB

Reply to
tbasc

Sorta depends on the type and size of the crack. check with someone locally to be sure. Do you have a newer home with a pre or post tension slab? If so better contact a third party for an inspection

Fabric is definitely out.

Reply to
SQLit

I would be very careful installing tile on a floor that has cracks. You do not mention age or size which does make a difference; hairline 20 years old or 1/2" wide by 10' long?

Wayne

Reply to
Wayne

They use a membrane under tile around here. The fact is virtually all slabs will crack and you want to isolate that from the tile.

Reply to
Greg

If you got sum Crack on the floor, you dont want to tile over it. That would be such a waste. Get a straw and snort it up your nose before you do the tile. You'll get a good buzz and feel good when you do the tile. If you dont want to snort it, I will snort it for ya. but dont tile over it. Crack is too cool to waste.

NYC Homeboy 1987 - 2005

Reply to
homeboy1987