Tiling Bathroom Floor/Shower

I have a shower that was tiled in cheap white ceramic 6x6 tiles. I would like to replace them. I consider myself an intermediate do-it-yourselfer, but I don't know if I should take this on. I have done tile work before, including removal, and been very pleased with the results. I guess my concern is that if there is something more than removing the grout, carefully removing the tiles, cleaning the surface of old grout/thin set and then retiling, that I may get into trouble. For example, I wasn't around when the house was built (1995 in TX) so I don't know if there's hardibacker underneath or what I'm working with.
Any advice?
REW wrote:

In general, you're better off ripping it out to the bare studs no matter what the substrate is.
Browse the local library or bookstore or even HD for basic books on tile setting. Get up to speed before attacking this one.
Jim

---------------------------- Plus, even if you rip out the tile, and run into something unexpected, you've already done some of the demo work for the contractor and might save a few bucks.
Expect the worst, rot and mold and new durock, then iit wont be bad if it goes better.
Good Luck
Do a Google search on my name, with the terms 'silicone' and 'tile'. I did it in what I consider a far better fashion than is the standard. And very suited to the newcomer.
Michael Baugh

and
hardibacker

give it a try.
if it all goes well and there's no damage underneath the tiles, your biggest problem is leveling off the old thinset. you can do this with various types of grinders/sanders. it'll be very dusty, plan accordingly.
if it doesn't go well, then you're part way done with the demo work.