Tiling and underfloor heating a suspended wooden floor

I'm extending my kitchen into both my dining room and the hall and want to tileand ptentially underfloor heat the kitchen floor.
The current kitchen floor is suspended wood, but the kitchen is 2" strips of wood whereas the other rooms are 5" planed floor boards.
My original plan was to replace the kitchen boards with new floor boards teh same as the rest of the house, but i've been reading you have to ply on top of floor boards to tile.
Can i replace the current floorboards with one or more layers of ply and then underfloor heat and tile striaght to that? If possible it would mean i don't raise the level of the floor too much compared with the adjoining rooms.
If I am following you. There are quite a variety of floor heating systems and one may serve you better than another.
Here is a little info
http://www.eere.energy.gov/consumerinfo/factsheets/bc2.html
mark a wrote:

Underfloor heat aside, plywood is not the recommended sbustrate for floor tile. Mortar or some type of backer board installed over a properly built subfloor is recommended and can be incorporated with several different types of underfloor heating.
Thanks Borgunit.
Decided after research to go for the Devi-mat.
What i really need is advice on what to replace my floor with so that it doesn't come much higher than the surrounding floors.
mark a wrote:

Cart before the horse.
What you really need is to know if the existing subfloor will support what you plan on installing on top of it.