Tiling a shower floor

Just brainstorming here, expecting No for an answer. If I have a prefabricated shower floor and I want a tile floor, can I instead just tile the prefab floor instead of taking it out and starting all over with pre-pan and paper and all that?
A plastic shower pan could never hold the weight without flexing and cracking the tile.

If the plastic shower pan has been set on a bed of concrete (as many plastic shower pans and tubs are), then it would probably have the stability to hold up under the tile. This method for installing plastic poducts was code in place I lived.
On Sat 12 Jul 2008 07:32:27p, Art told us...

--
Wayne Boatwright
Well--if I pound it with my heel and I hear a resonant thud, does that mean it's sitting on a bed of concrete?
Wayne Boatwright wrote:

Probably so, but you could test it by drilling a tiny whole through the shower pan to see what you hit. It could easily be patched if you choose to continue using the shower pan as is, whether it's supported by concrete or not.
On Wed 16 Jul 2008 10:48:08a, Harlan Messinger told us...

--
Wayne Boatwright
Good idea, thanks.
Wayne Boatwright wrote:

I'm not familiar with those products.
On Fri 18 Jul 2008 02:23:40a, Harlan Messinger told us...

--
Wayne Boatwright