tiling a shower enclosure

Hi I am in the midst of a full renovation of my home, and now it is up to me to finish off the smaller stuff. One of the projects is tiling a shower stall enclosure. It has the pre-made fiberglass base which has been put in and plumbed. In fact all the plumbing has been roughed in. The drywallers used the "green board" around the stall area. My question is...can I use the Schluter Systems "kerdi" water proofing directly over top of the green board, then tile on top of that or do i have to put up cement board? I am hoping that just the kerdi will be enough. Also do I put a caulking seal at the base and the green board initially, then put on the Kerdi, then tile, then seal again at the base with caulking?

Any advise would be welcome. Newbie. Thanks Janet

Reply to
caledongrl

Tear out the green board from the wet areas, and put in cement backer board, with vapor barrier under it (if the brand you buy recommends it). Green board is water resistant, not water proof. It is fine elsewhere in the bathroom, but anywhere water will splash, you do not want drywall of any kind. Grout always leaks eventually, as does any taped or glued edge of any sealing membrane. I know, I know, they used green board routinely for thirty years after mud-bed enclosures died out. But now, they are all failing. You haven't put the tile up yet, which is most of the labor and expense. Fix it right now, and cuss a little at the rework, or plan or redoing it all a few years down the road, and cussing a lot.

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

*According to the handbook drywall is okay behind the Kerdi system however if it was me I would remove the drywall and install hardibacker.
I would also get rid of the fiberglass base. I've seen several of my customers get leaks from them after many years of use. Apparently they crack if they are not well supported or if the floor flexes or maybe as they age they become brittle.
Reply to
John Grabowski

I agree with aem.

Green board might work under a cultured marble panel (3 of them) but is a complete waste of time and materials under tile.

You might be able to use the 1/4" hardie-backer but then you would need the cove or bull-nose tile with the deeper lip and it is sometimes hard to find.

Bite the bullet and rip out the green board.

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt

Yes, Kerdi is designed to go over drywall/greenboard, just make sure to follow their instructions to the letter. The guys and gals over at

are very knowledgeable about tile, and especially the Kerdi system.

It is a proven and reliable system.

Personally, for my recent shower tile job, I went with CBU and redguard, but that's only because I wasn't familiar with the Kerdi stuff at the time.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

DITTO...Good advice...

Reply to
benick

Thanks to everyone for the advice! I have picked up all the Kerdi information and am watching their installation video. I will let you know how it goes! thanks again janet

Reply to
caledongrl

They always say they will call back, but they never do.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

Been through that "redo" situation and I also agree. Tear it out now!

Reply to
sparky01