Tiles fell off in shower

Page 1 of 2
In our basement shower, several tiles fell off. Behind them is drywall. The tiles are not broken and I would prefer to just glue them back in if possible. What glue and process would you recommend.
Thanks!
Ignoramus15467 wrote:

You would be wasting your time and effort, not to mention throwing good money after bad.
Your shower has a terminal problem and you need to amputate that drywall to save it.

I am sorry, what do you mean by terminal problem. If I have to do the entire wall, I will, but I would rather not.
Ignoramus15467 wrote:

You have two ways to approach this. The first involves putting a bandaid on the cut artery - that is treating the symptom by glueing the fallen tile back in place. Bandaids are cheap, fast and the shower is still going to die. It'll be a slow death with the fallen tile problem recurring and you trying to nurse it back to health. it won't work for long. Looking on the bright side, you will have found a new hobby.
The other alternative is to fix the hack job the original installer did. Putting tile on drywall in a wet location is not only recommended, but to be avoided at all costs. Cement backer board such as Durock, Wonderboard, fiber cement board such as Hardie Backerboard or one of the newer boards such as Wediboard are the preferred substrates.
You see the tile job can be no better than the weakest link. Drywall turns to mush when exposed to water. Some idjits think that the moisture resistant drywall, called green board, is water resistant or even waterproof. It's not by a long shot.
Of course you don't want to replace the entire wall(s), but there really is no other choice. The worst thing you could do is to glue the tile back using silicone and do a good job of it. Sounds odd, but what will happen is the water will get behind the tile from another area that you didn't fix and the silicone will hold the tile in place longer than it should. You _want_ to know if there is damage (rot) occuring behind the tile. Otherwise you'll be looking at replacing studs, subfloor, etc. - a much, much bigger pain in the ass.
Check out the John Bridge tile forums and search the archives to see what the pro tile setters have to say about putting tile on drywall. Half of them love it when the hacks do that because it's job security for them. The other half would shoot the hack if they could locate him and get away with it. I'm in the latter camp. Too many people doing crappy work and it's time to start weeding them out! ;)
RicodJour wrote:

Obviously that should be _not_ recommended as it's a bad thing. Sorry for the slip up.

says...

OK OK OK!
But is there harm in trying the silicone adhesive for the fallen tiles first? Not everything has to be done to the n-th degree.
Banty

Silicone adhesive works well. Just be sure to grout them to keep the water out and check the other tiles. There may be other loose ones too.

thanks Edwin... I will make sure to use good grout and silicone adhesive. I will get back to report on how it went.
There has to be a reason for the tiles to fall off. I know gravity is one of them but if they were installed correctly in the first place, they would not move. Check to see if there is water leak, excessive vibration etc.. Is the drywall damaged in any way? If not go ahead with the silicone adhesive. If you drywall is damaged, replace it and use good adhesive.
Ignoramus15467 wrote:

Drywall appears to be undamaged. My theory is that water penetrated bad grout seals. The house is abotu 25 yo.
On Tue, 21 Feb 2006 20:00:51 GMT, Ignoramus15467

Basement shower, huh? How much is it used?
You have two choices -- use a silicon adhesive to put the tile back into place. This will defer the problem and that may be all you want.
Or ... as Rico has urged .... do the job properly.
Shower tile does not go on greenboard or on drywall. It goes on denShield or equivalent. If your shower indeed is tile over drywall, I'd consider tearing it out and starting over.
Think of your fallen tile as the "first shoe to fall".

I shower in it every day.

Well,let me ask you: if, say, I use proper adhesive and some sort of sealant overall, how long would this repair last?

That's true. I hate doing these sort of jobs (redoing the shower). I have two kids and the older is very disruptive to doing any sort of continuous work because a) he only wants to play with me and b) he always wants to help, which means that I have to watch him not to fall on stuff and not to glue himself to the wall etc. come up with stuff for him to do so that he thinks he is helping, and yet does not ruin anything, etc. 4.5 years old.
On Tue, 21 Feb 2006 21:23:33 GMT, Ignoramus15467

I can sympathize ... I have a grand daughter about that age. The wheels never stop turning.
It's not a particular hard or messy job .... it really means two days of getting at it ... and a third of finishing up. (That said, I have a bathroom in our cabin that's been waiting for tile for nearly a year and a half. I'll procrastinate as soon as I get around to it. <g>)
But busted tiles are sharp and drywall edges can hurt small (and large) hands.
Maybe get a baby sitter? Wait till the kid is at nursery school? Whatever.
Use the tile site Rico recommended, it's a good one.
Ken

Thanks.. We have a baby sitter, it is not helpful. When my son is at kindergarten school, I am at work. I cannot do anything for more than 5 minutes continuously because of the kid issue.

Now wait.
I am a single mother who raised my son alone from birth. Even in my case, there are naptimes; there are after-bedtimes. Even if there aren't neighbors or relatives willing to take on the child for a day or so. I'm fairly sure you mentioned a spouse? If so, surely you two can tag-team.
I understand about not being able to do certain things at all with a small child underfoot. But I can't believe that the small child has to be *always* underfoot.
Banty
Banty wrote:

I believe that's why they invented velcro, Chinese finger cuffs and rubber mallets. Nap time. Bonk! ;)

Banty, the reality is, him playing with mom does not work out. I do not want to get into details. He goes to bed relatively late (and I have to wake up early) so there is not terribly much time during evenings, for this sort of thing. I am not whining, I would be able to do it, at a relatively high personal cost.

PULEESE!!!!!!! You must have a quiet child. If you have a child that is very active you can't do ANYTHING. Always getting into everything they have to be watched all the time. You never know what ideas they will dream up. Mine never took naps. Put her in the crib with the sides pulled up and she climbed out. Go,go,go all day and most of the night. If you have a normal kid you just don't know about these active types.

Marina, mine is somehere in between, I think -- very active, but does sleep soundly.

Oh PULEESE yourself. This is just excusifying.
There's a whole LIST of things that aren't happening to for him to be so limited. I think the OP has painted himself into a corner on this somehow. For instance, how is it he has a babysitter but that's "not helpful". "Not helpful" how?? How is it his spouse is so useless in this regard? Although I'm sure you'll insist he's in some tiny percentage with an active child AND a useless spouse AND no friends AND no neighbors they know AND no relatives nearby AND no vacation time AND a "non-helpful" babysitter.
If it's all such a problem, he can hire someone.
Banty