tile vs vinyl flooring in the bathroom

How does a tub overflow? Seriously. Weren't there grownups in the house?

Some tubs do not have outlets. My soaking tub (not porcelain - some kind of synthetic -- has NO place for overflow to go. Shouldn't this be required?
HB

in pittsburgh a overflow is required by code for bathtubs and bathroom sinks.....
its a great code requirement:)
On Fri, 11 Feb 2011 13:48:44 -0800 (PST), " snipped-for-privacy@aol.com"

i was born and raised in pittsburgh
bathtub overflows arent going to help

I've noticed this. The tub and all my sinks but the kitchen and laundry sinks have overflows, but they seem to accomplish very little, compared to the size of the opening and how big I know the passageways are.
On my list of things to do is make some sort of measurement of how much water will flow through each overflow.

Given the extremely low volume of water allowed by EnergyStar these days (bath faucets are less than 1.75gpm now), my guess is that the sink overflows will be able to handle it with no problem. Bathtubs are a different story, but the overflow there is significantly larger.

My house precedes energystar. But the overflow doesn't do well on removing overflow.
My bathtub wasn't running even at 1.75 gpm when it overflowed. It was off, except the washer was bad and something between a trickle and a tiny stream was running, and the overflow coudln't even handle that. Yes, it's strange. I don't know why. I took the overflow apart afterwards and didn't find anything unusual in it. And the drain works well. It's a mystery.

Some tubs do not have outlets. My soaking tub (not porcelain - some kind of synthetic -- has NO place for overflow to go. Shouldn't this be required?
HB ============= Required as much as "This product contains peanuts" on a jar of peanut butter. We have rules to save the weak, when in reality, nature should be taking them out of the gene pool.

Should have a bead of white silicone along the tub bottom. In my bathroom the tiles also run partly up the wall. Last house was floor only and woodwork at the walls. Had the toilet overflow a couple times, and it looks like the weak spots for water to escape are around the toilet base and under the vanity. Won't get through the grout.
--Vic

Check your health care premium, consider possible changes in rates, then decide.
Joe
Jeff Thies wrote:

With suitable layers of sealant (a good sealant), I suspect any tile - even sausalito - can be made as stain resistant as granite.
For the small bathroom in your project, a pint of the stuff (~$6.00) should be a better bargain than $5 more per tile for marble.
HeyBub wrote:

saltillo. i doubt you'd be putting a small kalifornia town down on your bathroom floor.
it's really hard to make saltillo tiles be non-absorbant. they are a very soft clay. you'd have to imbue them in something that would fill all the pores. normal wear would open up areas on the tile and make them absorbant again. it would be worse than having carpet on a bathroom floor.

chaniarts wrote:

Mine get a coat or two of SealCrete then 3 coats of oil poly. The SealCrete (which is acrylic) was to prevent the poly from darkening them.
Most of my 2500 sq.ft of Saltillo has been down for 10-12 years. What you say about wear is true but it takes a *lot* of wear. The only areas that need re-doing on mine are a 3' wide path around the kitchen island and about 3 tiles just outside the shower (which are still non-absorbent but the water did in the poly).
--

dadiOH
chaniarts wrote:

Right. I was thinking of Bakersfield.