tile underlayment

I'm laying 6x6 1/4" thick tile for the majority of my tub. Halfway up though, I'm putting a 3" high strip of 1/8" thick glass tile inlay around the interior of the tub. This is the type of tile that comes on the 1'x1' sheets and each tile is 1" sq.

Because I have to build up the thinset to get it to level with the 6x6, i'm having problems getting the glass tile to set-in without moving around. I'd like to cut a 3" strip of backboard and put it behind the glass, but I can't find one thin enough.

Any ideas?

Thanks, D

Reply to
dmersch

Use a small-notch trowel with some thickened thinset. Once it sets up, fill in the grooves with more thinset using a flat trowel and let that set.

Reply to
Bobby_M

Build up the thinset to the proper level without the final tiles in place, wait for that to dry then spread more thinset to bond the glass tiles.

Don't try to set the galss in a thick bed of thinset, just enough to stick it and come 1/3 up the sides.

Use 2 hour setting thinset (stone and granite) if you want to do it in one day

Reply to
PipeDown

Thanks for the feedback.

Reply to