Tile-to-carpet threshold question: options, and what do I attach it to?

My bathroom doorways are adjacent to carpeted bedroom and hallway, which I think will turn out to to be about the same height. Of course, a marble threshold would look nice. What are my options, aside from that, just so I know? And if I decide to do a marble threshold, what do I attach it to? On top of the tile? The Hardibacker? The plywood? Should it overlap the carpet, or end at the chrome edge of the carpet? See photo for what I am working with. If anyone has an image or schematic of what this would look like from a side view, that would be immensely helpful! Thanks! Adam

Adam

Is this what you mean by a z-strip?

'm putting the Hardibacker over plywood, not concrete. Thanks! Adam

Reply to
Adam

I would remove the aluminum transition strip from the carpet and install a Z strip. This terminates the carpet with no visible metal. Then tile right up to the carpet. It is usually best to remove the transition strip, tile up to where you want to tile to, then install the Z, making sure you have enough carpet to turn it under the Z.

By the way, why are you using hardibacker over concrete?

Reply to
Robert Allison

Yes, that is Z bar! And thank god about the plywood. It looks like concrete in the photo.

One other issue, it looks as though the tile is going to be slightly higher than the carpet (it is hard to tell from the photo). If it is, try to get some bull nose trim to finish the tile at the carpet. Makes for a nice transition.

Reply to
Robert Allison