tile size and subfloor

I have read here about the need for 1 1/4" of wood under ceramic tile flooring, and wondered if the rule applies equally to all tile sizes. We are looking at two tiles for our kirchen, a 6" and a 20". I can see the 6 incher is going to be more work but if the chance of cracking was less it would be worth it. It seems like it would but I'd like to hear from someone with more knowledge than "seems!" tom
puttster wrote:

You don't need 1 1/4" of wood. What you need is a *non-flexing* subfloor regardless of tile size.
How thick you need is a function of type (ply/plank/other) and the spacing of whatever is supporting it. For example, if it is a slab you don't need anything.
And you don't want to apply the tile directly to wood...if you have a wood sub-floor you want a cementatious layer (cement board) on top under the tile.
The larger the tile used the more important levelness of the area to which it is being applied becomes.
dadiOH's dandies v3.05... ...a help file of info about MP3s, recording from LP/cassette and tips & tricks on this and that. Get it at http://mysite.verizon.net/xico
<DIV>puttster wrote:<BR>&gt; I have read here about the need for 1 1/4" of wood under ceramic<BR>&gt; tile flooring, and wondered if the rule applies equally to all tile<BR>&gt; sizes.&nbsp; We are looking at two tiles for our kirchen, a 6" and a<BR>&gt; 20".&nbsp; I can see the 6 incher is going to be more work but if the<BR>&gt; chance of cracking was less it would be worth it.&nbsp; It seems like it<BR>&gt; would but I'd like to hear from someone with more knowledge than<BR>&gt; "seems!"<BR>&gt; tom<BR><BR>You don't need 1 1/4" of =wood.&nbsp; What you need is a *non-flexing*<BR>subfloor regardless of tile size.<BR><BR>How thick you need is a function of type (ply/plank/other) and the<BR>spacing of whatever is supporting it.&nbsp; For example, if it is a slab<BR>you don't need anything.<BR><BR>And you don't want to apply the tile directly to wood...if you have a<BR>wood sub-floor you want a cementatious layer (cement board) on top<BR>under the tile.<BR><BR>The larger the tile used the more important levelness of the area to<BR>which it is being applied becomes.<BR><BR>--<BR>dadiOH</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>I found this helpful as I'm thinking of ripping out the linoleum &amp; carpet on my lower level and putting in ceramic.&nbsp; I'm on a slab (much to my chagrin...I miss the basements of my northeast roots) so found the not needing a subfloor info VERY helpful.&nbsp; Ultimately, I'll do more direct consulting when the time arrives.</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><FONT color=#000080 size=2>Lynn</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML> ------=