Tile saw question

Can I cut glass with a MK diamond saw tile cutter?

I have some 100 year old whisky bottle necks that I want to cut off nicely and make hat pegs out of. I figured I would saw them at a slight angle so that when mounted on a flat piece of barn wood, they would point slightly up.

Has anyone ever cut something like this? I would make a small cradle to hold them and get repeatable cuts, and would use a very slow feed with the water spray.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

I don't have a clue about cutting them, but are the bottles worth anything to a collector? Could you be cutting a $500 bottle to make a 5¢ peg?

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Steve,

It depends upon the blade. Check MK's web site or give them a call. How do you plan to decrease the motor speed on the saw to very slow?

Reply to
G Henslee

I think there a special blade to cut glass cleanly. The normal diamond blade will cut but will also chip the glass. Have not done this myself but that's my understanding. 100 year old whisky bottle, sure you want to do this?

Reply to
Fred

You have a few options. Probably the easiest would be to bring them to a local stained glass artisan and have them cut them on their diamond bandsaw. I use one for those ridiculous cuts in porcelain tile. Or you could have someone cut them on a lapidary saw (wet diamond saw used for cutting semi-precious stones). You could probably get away with cutting them on a diamond tile saw and grind the ends with a stained glass grinder (Wizard is one name).

RicodJour

These are just the necks. They are the common brown whiskey bottles, blown in a mold, then a neck applied of molten glass.

The whole bottle in excellent condition would be worth about a dollar.

I have a bottle collection, and have specimens dating back to 1863.

No, they aren't worth a dime, but I think they might make an interesting hat rack.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Instead of cutting them, maybe your hat rack should be designed to hold the entire bottle, and not just the neck. I would think the entire bottle would be more structurely sound that just the neck.

just an idea

Reply to
c_kubie

I wish I had the whole bottle. The whole bottles were snatched by collectors YEARS ago. All I could pick up were some necks.

Please reread original post.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

as long as it's a non-segmented blade, it will work ok. there are a lot of specialty glass blades, most of them expensive for doing just a few. if you're doing a 1000, or need an exceptionally clean cut, you might want one.

regards, charlie cave creek, az

Charles Spitzer