Tile removal question

I have about 400 sf of 12" square ceramic tile that I need to take up. It has been laid over sheet vinyl with a white ceramic tile adhesive, and not grout. It does have 1'4" or so grout between tiles. The original sheet goods was Congoleum, and was put down with whatever glue was used in 1978. I have used a wood chisel to scrape some of it off the concrete, and it comes off fairly easily.
Questions:
What is the best way to get the tiles and old sheetgoods off? A 1" chisel? A 3" chisel? Just go in from the edges? Smack it with a hammer, and try to shatter it? THEN, what is the best way to get the layers of glue, sheet goods, and glue off the concrete to make a pretty floor for the new tile? Wood chisels slid along the floor? Stiff bladed putty knives? Any rental thinguses available that will help?
Looks like a long job no matter what I do, so am looking for help in advance to develop a game plan. Just trying to avoid doing it the ancient Egyptian way ......... lots of labor and lots of time ...............
Steve
SteveB writes:

$20 import air hammer and air compressor ($400 but rentable) with chisel blade.
Demolition hammer for 20 dollars for 4 hours. I used one to remove tile from the bathroom wall. Ran it mainly along the studs, peeled the tile off with its mesh, after cutting the mesh with an angle grinder.

SteveB wrote:

use a shovel that you can kick with your foot.. it works if you removing it from concrete... about the fastest way to do it...
jim writes:

$20 @ Home Depot, buy a roofer's de-shingling shovel/scraper.
The power tools others have suggested are overkill IMO. Guys who removed my basement (vinyl, hell probably asbestos) tile floor did it in about 2 hours. Since you're removing tile over sheet goods it should go pretty quick.
Best,
Marc
Assuming the floor is level, why not save all that work and apply the new floor on top of the tile? ds

chisel?
advance
Egyptian

Lemme see ................. sheet goods ................... two layers of tile ....................... putting thousands of dollars in new tile and labor on top of an uneven surface that has cutouts for cabinets, etc. ..................... $24k in cabinets ................... $5k in granite work .............. all new appliances ..............................
wait.
wait.