tile question - backerboard seam hump

Bathroom redo, with ceramic tile.....
Following all the DIY sites & friends' advice, I put down thinset on my bathroom subfloor, then my backerboard, then I put thinset in the seams of the backerboard, pressed fiberglass tape down in the seam/ thinset, then put some more thinset over the tape. I thought while doing it it was pretty level. But now that everything's in place, I put a test tile down on the seam & it rocks back & forth a bit.
Should I go to the trouble of grinding down the seams to get the seam perfectly flat? Or will the thinset that goes under the tile handle this minor hump?
On 15 Apr 2007 11:44:30 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

You did it right. The thinset will handle the bump unless it is really bad. How bad is really bad? Depends on the tile size and thickness, (and hence, on the trowel notch size and thickness of thinset). If you're really worried about, lay a couple of test tiles using the proper notched trowel. You can always pick them up and scrape off the thinset if you don't like what you see. If it's a problem, just skim coat all the backerboard with thinset rather than trying to grind down the seams.
HTH,
Paul
My test tile was a 12" x 12" 3/8" thick tile, so pretty decent length I guess from side to side, which made the rocking more noticeable I suppose. If it were a 3" x 3" tile, then I guess that would be quite the hump. From what you describe though, I should be good to go.

<snip>

You can grind a seam flat with a $20 Harbor Freight angle grinder in far less time than skim coating more of the area. But then there's a dust issue, so choose your method keeping in mind the old pro's adage, "The flatter the substrate (wall, ceiling) the better the job". HTH
Joe