Tile question

I am tiling our bathroom with brown ceramic tile. The shower cabinet is already tiled with black ceramic tile. Removig it would be a messy, major job. Is it possible to lay new tiles over the old ones in the shower? rps

Reply to
DS

You can, but there's a lot of prep work to do first. You have to clean the daylights out of it so there isn't a SPECK of soap scum. You should really clean the grout out too. Then you have to sand the tiles to remove the glaze. Then you can coat them with thinset and lay your new tiles.

Even then, you run the risk of a few popping off.

Another alternative, if you have the room, is to attach new Hardy or cement board over the old tiles. You'll have to use a ceramic bit to drill through the old tiles and run screws into the studs. But you'll have a much better surface to work with.

Reply to
Rick-Meister

Do it right. Not twice.

Reply to
SteveB

Tiling over tile sounds like a horrible idea....what to do with the plumbing to fit the extended surface?

If the black is in good shape, why not leave it? Incorporate a border with black and brown and you might have a "wow" decor.

I haven't tiled, only regrouted, which was a big job for me. Ripping out the old tile sounds easier than trying (and likely failing) in putting in tile over tile.

Reply to
norminn

I agree with the other posters. Rip it out and start anew. It won't take you much longer if any. You should rip out the drywall with the old tile, it will go faster with less mess. Shouldn't take more than a couple hours to rip it all out. You may find rotted drywall behind it anyway. Then install new green board, tile and your done. 3 short days at best. It will be done correctly in the color you want and will probably last longer than you will.

Hank

Reply to
Hustlin' Hank

Like 50 other people will jump in here and say, don't use green board for the tub/shower surround. Use concrete backer board. Yes, I know greenboard was the standard practice for many years after mud-bed died out, but it still rots and gets mushy when (not if, when) that first pinhole in the grout or caulking develops.

Personally, I don't think wall tiling is a good DIY job. It isn't rocket science, but experience makes a lot of difference in the final job. A DIY can save a lot of money by doing the demo themselves, and perhaps doing the shimming of the studs and the rough install of the backer board (and the greenboard or other rot-resistant material OUTSIDE the splash zone). But I'd rather have an actual expert do the mudding and taping of the joints, and the tiling. I've seen lots of DIY tile jobs, and only a very few were pro quality.

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

" snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net" wrote in news:-LidnfmpLYjmSALUnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.com:

Pair of pliers hanging on a string from shower head.

Reply to
Red Green