Tile over vinyl

Question - can anyone help? I am putting down a ceramic tile floor in the basement that has two layers of glued down vinyl tiles over the concrete. Since they existing flooring is tightly glued and undamaged, can I put the ceramic tile over them or do I have to scrape the vinyl and glue off first? Thanks for any help you can give - Shel shelperkins (at) cox.net
Doing it the right way does involve removing the layers of vinyl. Stop trying to be lazy.
Any flex at all will make tile crack. It cannot be laid over vinyl, unless you were to put some very seriously fastened concrete backer board or something similar down. Sorry, the vinyl has to come up.
shel wrote:

The vinyl must be solid. You MUST get the wax (Shine) of the vinyl before laying down tile.

shel wrote:

You might want to consider using one of the elastomeric anti-crack products like "Flex-Guard"
http://www.crackisolation.com /
as an underlayerment.
Also, with two layers of "vinyl tile" on the floor it's possible that at least one of them is old enough that it might be *asbestos* tile or have been installed with an asbestos containing mastic.
One red flag for possible asbestos floor tile is a 9"x9" size, another is an appearance like one of these:
http://mainegov-images.informe.org/dep/rwm/asbestos/photoalbulm/vinylasbestosfloor.jpg
http://www.dolir.mo.gov/ls/nursinghomes/Pictures/possible_asbestos_tiles.jpg
http://www.bainenvironmental.com/images/whitetile.jpg
http://www.isitasbestos.com/images/floortile_sm.jpg
Needless to say, you probably don't want to turn a weekend tile project into a asbestos abatement program, so before removing tile or adhesive that might contain asbestos have an industrial hygienist or other qualified individual sample and identify suspect material, and if it is asbestos research your options, asbestos contanin material can sometmes be left in place if in good condition.
Michael Thomas, Paragon Home Inspection, LLC, Chicago IL mdtATparagoninspectsDOTcom
shel wrote:

Get a flexible glue that will stick to vinyl tile and you'll be fine.
My professional tile installer sanded the no-wax (shiny) vinyl and installed the ceramic tile right over it. Been looking good for 12 years. Just make sure the sub-strata of the vinyl in solid and firm.
--
Walter
www.rationality.net