Tile over linoleum

Page 2 of 2

Chances are this is a VINYL floor and not linoleum. But yes, the floor can not be tiled over if it's a NOT a perimeter glue down.
To tile over a vinyl floor, it must be firmly glued (all over) to the concrete and not curling at seems or edges. The floor should be stripped of wax, grease, dirt or any other build up. Roughing up is only needed if the floor still shines like the day it was new. You need to use a thinset recommended for use over vinyl or mix standard thinset with latex additive (no water).
Advantages to leaving a _well glued_ vinyl floor on concrete: Not having to strip the vinyl floor adhesive where application was excessive. The vinyl floor is one of the best anti-fracture membranes one can have on a slab floor. If you remove the vinyl floor and cracks are evident, you must use an anti-fracture membrane to stop them from transmitting through the tile.
Disadvantages: Having to listen to every Tom, Dick & Harry who tells you it won't last.
J.P.
Tom Dick and Harry and Susy have seen 1200 yr old floors that are fine , have you seen a 20 yr old floor over linolium that IS good , NO, YOU havnt ... Remember tile and concrete breathes out moisture , plastic Doesnt. What happens when a big leak or flood occurs. THEY HAPPEN... And long term over plastic well , you make me laugh , Got yo money, so yo replace it in 10 yrs. Hack Wipe

Not only have I seen a 20+ year old floor tile set over vinyl, I placed it. Still tight and crack free today!

If this were true, every shower pan set over a vinyl liner would have failed or will soon fail. This is flawed logic.
If there is a leak or a flood bad enough to get under the vinyl floor and ruin the bond, then you will have much more serious flood damage to worry about than one loose tile floor.
I've seen one year old floors, set directly on slabs, that were failing. Any floor that is not properly done, will fail (some faster than others). The correct thinset, the mixing of the thinset, additives or no additives, correct thinset application and the condition of the substrate all factor in.
A first timer who takes a "tile class" at a box store is risking much. One simply can't learn all that is required in a two hour box store class. Yes, there are hack tile setters and there are also good ones who know the craft inside and out. To condem one who simply counters your advice is ignorant. I stand by my orginal statement.
Heck, even Art James (like him or hate him, he knew his craft) would not just blindly discount setting tile on vinyl over a slab. If the vinyl meets the requirements, the job will last!
J.P.
TinMan1332 wrote:

Hi, It all depends on workmanship. Done properly anything lasts long time. My 10 year old shower pans still look new. NO preblemo whatsoever. Tony

Yep.
Of course. Our friend is talking out his rear end and using circular reasoning to back up his flawed response. Not looking to start a flame war, but I would like to share rational fact based responses and debunk those that are not based upon good logic.
J.P.
Exactly, just like a fly knows a dung heap.

he's crafty,crafty
On Tue, 28 Oct 2003 00:03:20 -0600 (CST), snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (mark Ransley) wrote:

It's not on concrete and it's not twenty years old yet (about ten), but my kitchen floor is ceramic tile on linoleum that was not removed due to possible asbestos. It is showing absolutely no sign of problems. The bathroom floor is the same except only four years old.

I have a vinyl floor in the kitchen and the tile installed has suggested laying tile over it rather than taking it up and putting some kind of board down. Said it would keep the floor lower and that the vinyl would act as a barrier in case something spilled and went through the tile. Pat
On 28 Oct 2003 22:20:21 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Patscga) wrote:

Not much chance of that happening.
@hotmail.com said...

But there is a good chance of it getting through the grout which will crack because it doesn't have a solid underlayment.

No, but it saves me money. I don't have to pay to have the vinyl removed, and I don't have to pay for the board that they would otherwise use.
Pat
said...

You know what would really save you money? Leave the vinyl in place and don't install tile. The cost is merely $50 for my consulting fee. If the installer will guarantee that you won't have a problem and you trust the guarantee, go ahead.

Since the vinyl is 20 years old, ripped and nasty looking, I suppose you would suggest more vinyl as replacement? Pat
Brad- turd in punch bole.

I beg your pardon? Pat
Tom Dick and Harry and Suzy have seen more 1000 yr old floors ,that more people have walked on , then your peon mind can imagine. Ben there done that.