tile over brick?

Can one install tile over a brick fireplace? If so, what kind of prep do you have to do, and what kind of adhesive will work?
peta,
What size tile? The bigger the tile the easier it will be to get an even job when applying over a brick face. You could install backerboard over the brick and tile over that. Use thinset and concrete nails in the mortar joints. Then use thinset to install the tile.
Put a straight edge of some kind against the brick first and see what you're up against.
peta wrote:

Found this at johnbridge.com when I google searched "tiling over brick" (in quotes):
"If the bricks are set fairly even, you can simply attach the tiles with thin set. Otherwise, I would float over the whole thing with mortar -- then tile, again using thinset mortar"
After scrubbing bricks clean, I usually spray bricks with water to dampen them before mortaring, as it results in a better bond, as it slows the drying and setting of the mortar.