Tile on floor before cement is set/hardened OK?

I want to build 3" high cement base for my cabinet and wish to tile it as well. To save time can I put the tiles on the cement base before the cement is set/hardenend?

Thanks!

Reply to
a1esta

I would consider that a bad idea. Let the cement cure fully then use a thinset or there recommended material.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Not to mention, even if this were theoretically possible, what are you going to stand, if you tried to do this? With a concrete slab already cured, you stand on it and do a section of the tile at at time. With a whole floor concrete pour, then what????

Reply to
trader4

Concrete base concrete floor.

Reply to
krw

I suspect, but I also thought of it the way you did, that he wants to tile that 3" high curb only.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

If you have to ask this question, I'd be surprised if you could finish tiling something in that little time.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

Thanks to all for the replies!

Guess I'll let the cement cured before laying the tiles. But I have another question. I have to use a sand cement mix (1:3 ratio, I think) as a mortar to bond the ceramic tiles right? The question is, if I have on hand much more cement than sand, would it be a problem? Is there any harm for having too much cement than sand in building a cement base or in a cement mortar?

Thanks again!

Reply to
a1esta