Tile Grout: Sanded vs Unsanded

I am having ceramic tile flooring installed in my bathroom as well as my kitchen. The contractor is suggesting 3/8" joints. What is the difference between sanded and unsanded grout? Which do you recommend?

Thanks,

John

Reply to
DJ Redlocks

kitchen. The contractor is suggesting 3/8" joints. What is the difference b= etween sanded and unsanded grout? Which do you recommend?

Thats an awfully big joint that would usually call for sanded grout.

Reply to
RickH

I better check with the contractor. Maybe he said 3/16". Would that make a difference? I will be using 12" x 12" tiles.

Thanks.

Reply to
DJ Redlocks

Personally, I prefer as small a grout line as possible. Tile is glazed and easy to clean, grout is not and tends to get dirty and stained easily, so the less grout the better for me. I would NOT go for 3/8" or even 3/16" if smaller were possible.

Reply to
EXT

if wet space, use unsanded grout.

would also recommend you use porcelain tile

Reply to
Tom

read the package. unsanded grout isn't designed for thick grout lines, and will crack if used inappropriately.

Reply to
charlie

kitchen. The contractor is suggesting 3/8" joints. What is the difference b= etween sanded and unsanded grout? Which do you recommend?

I agree with other poster and use a small grout line perhaps 1/8 inch, then unsanded grout is not a problem.

If the joints are 1/4 inch or more you should go with sanded grout especially on a floor. If 1/8 inch you can use either sanded or unsanded. Less than 1/8 inch then definitely use unsanded. But I too have learned to hate wide grout lines for sanitation reasons.

The difference?... unsanded looks like smooth plaster, sanded looks like mortar. When you buy the acrylic caulk to match the grout (for tub and toilet bottom, etc) then match that as sanded/unsanded also.

Reply to
RickH

HUH??

Unsanded is only good for narrow joints.

Kinda partial to natural stone myself, but often ceramic looks good too. Any reason why you like porcelain tile so much?

JK

Reply to
Big_Jake

I recently had my bathroom remodeled. They used large tile on both walls and floor. They said the wall grout did not have sand and the floor grout did have sand. The floor tile joints or grout lines is much wider than the wall.

Reply to
Dottie

Sanded grout has sand in it; unsanded doesn't. That's pretty much the difference.

Unsanded grout is only for very small grout lines, like the 1/8" or less in a shower. The sand makes the grout more durable. A 3/8" grout line is wide enough to walk on. Use sanded grout.

Reply to
SteveB