Tile grout paint?

I've seen a product advertised on TV but did not write down the name. Basically, instead of scrubbing the grout lines in your shower-tub, you simply paint them with this white paint.

The lower tiles (grout lines) above my tub will not clean. I've tried bleach, oven cleaner, grout cleaner, TSP, naphtha etc. etc.

Has anybody heard of this product? HD & Lowe's don't know anything about it. I also tried a Sherwin Williams dealer with no luck.

All advice appreciated. Ivan Vegvary

Reply to
Ivan Vegvary

Really? I bought some at either HD or Lowe's awhile ago, but I'm just getting ready to use it now, so can't comment on it. BTW: if it's the line RIGHT above the tub, connecting the tub to the tile, that should be caulk, not grout.

Sorry, I should've checked this before I replied. Anyway, it's actually called Tile Grout Coating, but it's white. It's made by Tile Guard, but I recall that one of the big box stores didn't carry Tile Guard products, but it was either HD or Lowe's that did. I'd try them again, having the specific brand and name now. You don't always get the most knowledgable person each time you're in those stores.

"Ivan Vegvary" wrote in news:T38Ig.3278$p23.652@trnddc04:

Made by Custom Building Products:

They makes a line called Polyblend with an item Polyblend Grout Renew.

\\&LANG=en&user=diy&lang=en It comes in 48 colors which is shown on a link from the above page. It was $9 for 8oz and covers 80 sq ft (solid sf, not tile sf). I did get it at Home Depot but apparently not all of them carry it. Their web site has a Where to Buy page to enter your zip code:

I've had it on about 6 months on floor tile IN a shower and it's holding up fine. You have to let it dry for 72 hrs before water can contact it. Before applying, I cleaned the grout with Sulfamic Acid Cleaner for tile. Also a Custom Building Products:

\\&LANG=en&user=diy&lang=en I believe this to be key since the grout renew isn't going to stick to scum & crud very long.

Al...

Reply to
Al Bundy

Here is an altrenative I would suggest. Also avaliable at LOWES

Ivan Vegvary wrote:

Reply to
Italian Mason

The MSDS suggests this is nothing more than acrylic latex paint.

I suggest you try some white acrylic latex paint on your grout.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

Why wouldn't you just re-grout. Pretty easy job.

Reply to
Dano

Check local tile/flooring stores. There are several companies which make a grout paint/sealant. I am doing this to my grout now. I cleaned the grout first with those Mr. Clean Magic Erasers--work like a charm and pretty non-toxic. For the painting, I first used a small paintbrush, which took forever, then we bought those wheel applicators, which worked better, and now we have a wheel applicator w/a bottle attached and it's great. It takes a somewhat steady hand, but I can get a lot done in a short amount of time.

HTH,

Dawn

Reply to
Dawn

Both Lowe's and HD near me carry grout colorants, which I believe are epoxy based. Tile stores also can get it.

Bob

Reply to
Bob

Last week, QVC had a grout-restorer which essentially sounds like a paint solution. Check out their web site a.... looked easy and simple, not to mention neat. Whether or not it applies to your case, you tell us.

Reply to
Buster Chops

"Dawn" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.supernews.com:

Sulfuric acid is so much more macho though. Mr. Clean Magic Eraser is so Barry Manalow :-)

Thanks for the tip, really.

Reply to
Al Bundy